• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

fog lights

TIM

I recently purchased a California Special and the previous owner took the fog lights off and threw them away. Can somebody tell me where I could find some?

Mosesatm

Lucas (mounted on posts) or Marchal (mounted on the grill)?

I have a few sets of Lucas lights ranging from average to outstanding and Bob Teets sells the correct posts for them.

68sunlitgold

Tim,
you can also find them on ebay, Lucas more often then Marchals. I would talk with Mosesatm first since everyone on the site is alot more dependable then ebay.

Doug

390cs68rcode

68sunlitgold said:
Tim,
you can also find them on ebay, Lucas more often then Marchals. I would talk with Mosesatm first since everyone on the site is alot more dependable then ebay.

Doug

I second that. He helped me out when I was in a bind with my foglights.

68gt390

Tim;
Don't forget one very important factor. The build date for your car. Depending on when it was built will dictate use of either Marchal lights or Lucas lights. If your build date is after 26 April 68 your car should have come with Lucas lights. But, if your not worried about being factory original you can use either light. As I've said before, I prefer the Marchal's but, that's just a personal preference.

Don :cool:

luisa2552

68sunlitgold said:
Tim,

I third that. Just got a great deal on a steering wheel from Arlie- just came today. Thanks Arlie!
Sara

somethingspecial

Food for thought, If your car has the holes in the grill molding, Than it had Lucas at some time. If your car was built prior to 4-26-68, and lacks the holes in the grill molding, than the previous owner probably threw the Marchal lights away (BUMMER), anyways, If the holes are missing, try to go with Marchal lights. in any case, if lucas is more your budget, they would be correct regardless of when your car was built.
Mike

Mustanglvr

somethingspecial said:
Food for thought, If your car has the holes in the grill molding, Than it had Lucas at some time. If your car was built prior to 4-26-68, and lacks the holes in the grill molding, than the previous owner probably threw the Marchal lights away (BUMMER), anyways, If the holes are missing, try to go with Marchal lights. in any case, if lucas is more your budget, they would be correct regardless of when your car was built.
Mike

Marchal foglights were attached to the grill by brackets. Most often the brackets were left on the grill (hence one way to detect an original grill) and holes were drilled for the Lucas lights in the grill molding panel below the grill. If your car still has the Marchal lights, then it is an early (pre-April 26th,1968) car that the owner did not take in for the recall. Eventually they all should have had Lucas lights.

nfrntau

I feel fortunate. (since I like the look of the marchals) My car was sold in July but still has the original marchals. Lazy dealer, the dealer didn't know about the recall or they just liked the marchals better and left them on the car.

Perkchiro

Can someone tell me if the mounting pedestals extend through the stone guard or do they just go throught the wide moulding? I'm getting ready to mount my lucas lamps and I have a new stone guard. I don't want to drill it if its not correct to do so. Thanks for your help.

PFSlim

Steve

Do you have the measurements of where to drill? I would assume they would be in Paul's book. However, I am sure it gives you great joy in thinking you have to drill into a part!!

Good luck.

Paul

Perkchiro

Thanks Jason and Paul. I thought that they did go through the stone guard and I marked the holes, but didn't drill until I had confirmation. Thanks for this info. Paul, I purchased the mounting pedestals from Tony Branda and they actually enclosed the marking instructions from Paul N.'s book with credits given to Paul. I predrilled the moulding and test fitted over the stone guard to get the proper location. Yes, drilling into a freshly painted body part does bring a bead of sweat to my brow. I'm getting somewhat used to it since I've also drilled the fenders for the rocker panels and for emblems. :cry:

Perkchiro

hcsstang said:
Do you have the tapered washers? If I remember correctly each light has two.

The kit has one square washer with a taper, one round star washer and one rubber washer for each pedestal. There was no installation diagram included so I'm guessing the sqare taper goes under the stone guard with the taper toward the front? Rubber washer goes between the pedestal and grille molding and the star washer between the Lucas light fixture and the pedestal. Let me know if I'm right or wrong on this. Thanks.
Steve

Perkchiro

hicountrybob said:
Lamps require 2 SQUARE WASHERS WITH TAPER for EACH lamp. hi country bob here.

High Country Bob: I checked my light pedestal kit and there's only one square tapered metal washer for each fixture. Can you explain how the the two square washers work on each light? Thanks, I don't want to make a mistake on this, I appreciate your help.
Steve

hicountrybob

Steven, ck. in one of Paul N.'s book, please, and I think you will see the diagram. I don't know how to clearly explain this tonight and I certainly do not know how to post pictures yet. Hey, you guys, would one of you post the picture for Steve? Thanks, hicountry Bob here.

Mosesatm

I see only one washer. There is really no place for another one to go.

Last edited: