View Single Post
Old 05/04/2008, 07:21 PM   #4
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Tough call.

The 1968 GT/CS's have earned their place in the Mustang world today. Not entirely on their own. They rode that wave with the rest of the Classic Mustangs. The 68 Cal Spec and HCS's have a little more sumpin' sumpin' that allows them to rise to the top though.

To me they have become popular and prestigious partly from the test of time, and greatly because of the pride of ownership by the owners, the carefully documented history that you helped create, and sites like this that keep the flame alive.

The newer late model GT/CS Mustangs are going to have to earn their own place in history. Time will tell.

Many Mustang owners are waiting and hoping to see if the Mustang II's like the Cobra, and King Cobra ever make it to the big time. Some of the Fox bodies too, 1982 GT, 1984 GT-350, SVO's, GT Turbo, and McLaren's.

The late model body style has been a hit with the public. I think that it is a great looking car, much better than all the previous models back to the fox platform. It also came at a time when there was a huge void in the American car muscle line up. The recognizable retro styling and Mustang name put it in the spotlight.
Ford wasn't stupid either, they made sure that this Mustang was made available to the aftermarket companies prior to the debut. Remember SEMA that year? The aftermarket segment had many goodies available for the Mustang just as it was becoming readily available at the dealers.

I also want to mention that too much, or negative exposure can have a detrimental effect on the outcome of the future. Eleanor anyone?

You also can't rule out the generational thing either. The pony and muscle car era of the late 60's and early 70's is legendary. The baby boomers have been at a point in their lives for several decades now where they have been buying these types of cars and enjoying their retirements and empty nest period of their lives. I think that the generation that has entered the workforce over the last dozen years and the next 8 to 10 years will be the ones that decide what happens. They will be the ones possibly embracing these types of cars in the future.

Time will tell.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote