• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Introduction and Tail light panel woes :(

dr1v3n

Hello,

I just recently picked up an original 1968 GT/CS, I am so excited to get it back into good shape. The car has an 89 5.0 swap, it's red, it was originally a 302 Auto Presidential Blue car. I am probably going to go restomod with it. The first thing I am working on correcting is the hideous reproduction tail light panel that's on the car. The piece I removed is exactly 60 inches in width and leaves some pretty huge gaps on the sides and at the top of the panel. The previous told me it was a cheap 100 dollar repop, obviously I want something much nicer to restore the good looks of the rear end. I am looking at a used panel that's on sale on ebay and I am also looking at more expensive reproductions.

I am wondering if any of you have a used 68 GT/CS or Shelby tail light panel available that would fit like the original. I am also wondering what your experience is with the reproduction pieces? Is there a brand that fits like the factory piece? So far I've had a difficult time getting sizes from companies offering reproductions and I am worried I am going to end up with another bad piece.

Thanks,

Jai

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 39

BroadwayBlue

Hi Jai,

Unfortunately I can't help with the taillight panel but did want to welcome you to the site.

Post some additional pictures when you can and register your car in the registry if it's not already.
Do you have a Marti report for the car? Always curious to see how the CS's were optioned.

Good luck on the restore/restomod and welcome to the world of CS ownership!

Rich

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Hi Jai,

Unfortunately I can't help with the taillight panel but did want to welcome you to the site.

Post some additional pictures when you can and register your car in the registry if it's not already.
Do you have a Marti report for the car? Always curious to see how the CS's were optioned.

Good luck on the restore/restomod and welcome to the world of CS ownership!

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the welcome, I am thinking to buy a panel off ebay that's damaged and have a body shop fix it with new fiberglass, its just an aweful lot of money for a piece thats in such poor shape.

Here is the Marti report. (attached)

Do you have an original tail light panel on your car? How wide is it? The piece I took off my car is 60 inches, and the gap I measured at approximately 60 and 3/4 inch. When I asked the reseller on ebay what size his panel was for sale he said 61". That seems spot on or close enough that it would fit the car perfect width wise. I am always curious if my cars end caps are tweaked or damaged, but they look spot on with fitment and appear to be even.

Best Regards,

Jai

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpg
    image1 (2).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 48

franklinair

I may be able to help. I have a complete original tail light panel: panel, lights, lenses, bezels that I removed from my current CS project.
The light assemblies are epoxied onto the panel, rather than being mounted with screws.
They work, and are intact. Perfectly restorable. I'll take some photos tomorrow & post.
Let me know if you're interested.
(and make me an offer I can't refuse.):wink:

Neil

Ruppstang

Welcome to the site!
It looks by your Marti report your car is nicely equipped.
Presidential Blue is a rare color only 2.7 % of the GTCS's were painted that color.
Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted on your progress.
Marty

Attachments

• Dad's 68 C code GTCS 003.jpg
    Dad's 68 C code GTCS 003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 35

Mosesatm

Something to keep in mind as you fight with the rear fiberglass parts is that they didn't fit correctly from the factory. For example one side of the deck lid is always higher than its end cap.
Here's an example.

Attachments

• zDSCN3011 Deck Lid Heights.jpg
    zDSCN3011 Deck Lid Heights.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 39

robert campbell

Jai,
I am the cut up resto-mod renegade on this site!! The Triple B's thread is mine and I love the spend other peoples money! But I have been spending a ton of mine this winter. Check out the below thread for some of my and our escapades!!

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9555&highlight=winter+fun

Arlie is spot on the fit of some of the original glass. I was not perfect. Neil is the best of the best and I bet his panel would work good for you to make it more presentable.

I am of a mind to make your car what you want and have fun! Originality is not my piece of cake, but I appreciate the effort that goes into making look right off the assembly line.

Keep us appraised and I love to help you go fast!!

Welcome welcome welcome!!!

Rob

BroadwayBlue

Rich,

... Do you have an original tail light panel on your car? How wide is it? ...
Best Regards,

Jai

Hi,
Unfortunately my car is in storage for the winter and I'm unable to get to it.

As I expected though, the rest of the crew is on it. :thumb:

Nicely optioned car from the start!
Rich

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

I may be able to help. I have a complete original tail light panel: panel, lights, lenses, bezels that I removed from my current CS project.
The light assemblies are epoxied onto the panel, rather than being mounted with screws.
They work, and are intact. Perfectly restorable. I'll take some photos tomorrow & post.
Let me know if you're interested.
(and make me an offer I can't refuse.):wink:

Neil

Neil,

I'd love to see what you have, would also like to know how wide this piece is? Also around 61"? Is there any reason why they're epoxied vs screwed in like they normally are? I do have good lenses and tail light buckets currently. My bezels are pitted and need a rechrome. The wiring for the tail lights and harness for the tail lights is in real sorry shape. My tail lights also don't work, it's a major reason why the car isn't on the road at all right now. I don't know how to wire up my tail lights to the ford racing harness thats currently in the car, I suppose it will be a project or I'll have a good mechanic friend make it work. Looking forward to seeing what you have, now entirely sure what this stuff is worth, and given I'm new here maybe it's better you give me a price?

Thanks,

Jai

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Something to keep in mind as you fight with the rear fiberglass parts is that they didn't fit correctly from the factory. For example one side of the deck lid is always higher than its end cap.
Here's an example.

I am not sure if the trunk on my car is original or not, it does have red paint underneath it so I suspect its been on there a while. It may have been repaired but my trunk fitment against the end caps looks okay. The gap itself could be better, I will see if the body shop I will eventually go to will be able to make it nice. I am also having a tough time with hood fitment, the previous owner replaced the hood and I've spent a little time adjusting it to fit right, I think maybe I need to move one of the hinges around but it sure is a pain to get right with the complicated hinges these cars have.

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Welcome to the site!
It looks by your Marti report your car is nicely equipped.
Presidential Blue is a rare color only 2.7 % of the GTCS's were painted that color.
Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted on your progress.
Marty

Your name is Marty and we are talking about the Marti report? :cool:

Thanks, it's too bad most of the options are gone or don't work in some way on this car. It's okay though, I tend to keep my cars forever and will get it all fresh and working again. I have a feeling things like working AC is going to be a pain given the car has a 5.0 instead of original 302.

Although the Presidential Blue is nice, I think I am going to go with a deep metallic red on the car and go with a custom vinyl color for the graphics, maybe a metallic glossy silver. It's an awful lot of money to paint a car, and seeing as how the value may not top 20K for one of these cars for years, I'd rather paint it something that takes your breath away vs. the classic blue it originally was. I know it would be nice to take it back to original condition, but I can always do that later on down the road if it's really worth while. Until then, might as well see if I can get 350 at the wheel with the 5.0 :)

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Hi,
Unfortunately my car is in storage for the winter and I'm unable to get to it.

As I expected though, the rest of the crew is on it. :thumb:

Nicely optioned car from the start!
Rich

Rich,

Yes I can see that, it is really awesome! I'm also working on a parts list, I figure if I can get the list together I may be able to buy it all at once to get a better deal on everything I need. I will probably post it up, so I can get everyone's opinions on it.

Thanks,

Jai

franklinair

Here are 3 photos of the tail light panel I have. It measures 60 &3/8" width, and is an original part.
Have you checked the rear quarter fenders on your car to see if they had been replaced? If so, perhaps they were installed with too much spacing. As previously noted- these cars weren't assembled with Swiss watch accuracy.
As far as price: I don't usually SELL parts. I just ask the recipient to make a generous donation to their church or favorite charity representative of the value received.

Neil

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Not sure how much this helps, but a guy here in Jersey has a bunch of NOS and used parts. Seems to have CS tail panels. Very expensive stuff...

I don't know this person, but take of look at this link and he has a million more links on Jersey craigslist for tons of Mustang parts.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/5975972462.html

That is excellent, thank you! :) I'm definitely going to reach out to him. That brown panel posted for sale is one of the best condition used pieces I've seen online. Hey do you all know if there is any difference between the 67 and 68 tail light panel, from my searching around there is, like they use different tail lights, is this true?

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

Here are 3 photos of the tail light panel I have. It measures 60 &3/8" width, and is an original part.
Have you checked the rear quarter fenders on your car to see if they had been replaced? If so, perhaps they were installed with too much spacing. As previously noted- these cars weren't assembled with Swiss watch accuracy.
As far as price: I don't usually SELL parts. I just ask the recipient to make a generous donation to their church or favorite charity representative of the value received.

Neil

Neil,

That is a very generous offer and I would comply with that, is that a panel for a 68? I am not sure what the differences might be between a 67 and 68 but I'd like to do a 68 panel since it is the correct year for the car and I have lenses and bezels. I would of course pay shipping/packaging, I am 7 hours drive away from NC.

Best Regards,

Jai

franklinair

I removed it from my '68 CS. And went the same path you're on- looking to upgrade. Big mistake on my part. The repro panels require a lot of work for fitment. Luckily Mike Jewell had a good pair if tail lights that I got. After a LOT of work I got it all right.
PM me your shipping address if you want it.

Neil

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

I removed it from my '68 CS. And went the same path you're on- looking to upgrade. Big mistake on my part. The repro panels require a lot of work for fitment. Luckily Mike Jewell had a good pair if tail lights that I got. After a LOT of work I got it all right.
PM me your shipping address if you want it.

Neil

PM Sent, thanks Neil!

Mosesatm

Neil,

That is a very generous offer and I would comply with that, is that a panel for a 68? I am not sure what the differences might be between a 67 and 68 but I'd like to do a 68 panel since it is the correct year for the car and I have lenses and bezels. I would of course pay shipping/packaging, I am 7 hours drive away from NC.

Best Regards,

Jai

The GT/CS was produced and sold only in 1968. The '67 and '68 Shelby taillights are different, Cougar vs. T-Bird.

OP
OP
D

dr1v3n

The GT/CS was produced and sold only in 1968. The '67 and '68 Shelby taillights are different, Cougar vs. T-Bird.

Lesson learned. :) I started to pick up a bit of this after Neil extended his offer, we should have the exact same panel. Thanks for the knowledge.