• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear Quarter Panel Extension Strip/Repair ?

njmop

Couple of questions regarding the rear quarter panel extensions:

1.) Are they plastic or fiberglass? (original pieces on the car...I'm fairly certain they are fiberglass...)
2.) What type of paint striper should I use on these?

I ask because the lower part of my extensions are cracked from impact of the bumper. Nothing too bad but I wanted to do a fiberglass repair on them. There is at least two layers of paint on them and my car needs paint anyway, so if figured I'd strip them and prep them now. I don't want to damage them further with the wrong stuff.

PFSlim

They are fiberglass. I can't speak to the paint stripper however. I would think about hand sanding them down to take the new fiberglass repair. We had to build our extensions out since ours were aftermarket from Branda and the body curve was not right for our car.

Paul

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Sounds good

Paul
I could very well just sand them. I'll take some before and after picks and maybe post them to the resto reference if they work out nice. I just didn't want to get a stripper that would damage the fiberglass.

rvrtrash

Mine were damaged also and I sanded them before repairing. I may have committed a cardinal sin though. Since I had the fiberglass resin handy, and was fixing the broken parts, I built them up in a couple of areas to match the body lines of the car. The tell-tale mismatch areas are gone. :eek:

Steve

Perkchiro

As per a recommendation by a car body guy, I used aircraft stripper to take 2 coats of paint down off my trunk, end caps, side scoops and taillight panel. It worked but he warned me not to scape to deep and gouge the gel coat, but I did in a couple of spots. The body shop repaired and sanded those pieces and it turned out pretty well. I was a bit nervous doing that so I don't know if others here have tried that method. Just thought I'd share that bit of info.