• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need Help Troubleshooting

PFSlim

Last night, I went out to take our Mustang for a quick trip (vacation time). When I first tried to start the car, the starter engaged but did not fire the engine. This happens sometimes if we don't give her some gas just before firing. Second attempt yeilded same results. On third attempt, car started but the starter would not disengage. In other words, I could hear the starter still grinding and the motor running as well. I turned the switch to the off position but nothing happened. The car slowly died out.

Afterwards, I got in the car (interior light did not come on) and tried the switch with nothing at all there.

The battery is a new battery. Does anyone have any ideas??

Here are my thoughts with limited knowledge. Since our starter is located next to our headers, we assumed we would go through a starter, just not this soon. I also think there might be something wrong with our switch, even though it is brand new since Feb. Why would I not have power even if the starter went out and even if the switch was bad?? The battery was still in the car at the time??????

Any ideas??

Paul

390cs68rcode

starter solenoid sounds bad. if this happens again take a hammer or screwdriver handle and tap the top of the solenoid, it will kill the engine.

I have also had this problem after adding a "concours correct" new solenoid. These things have to be grounded PERFECTLY to the engine compartment or they will "stick".

coloradoHCS

Paul I would look at the ignition switch first. The total lack of electrical power could be the result of a fusable link somewhere in the primary circuit. The starter problems you describe, I have seen caused by a bad or failing ignition switch. Usually starter "heat soak" off the headers will result in low cranking and high amp draw until the starter cools. Mark.

bish

Ditto to what Jason said, I've encountered the same problem with the concours solenoid. try his suggestion, but I don't recommend using a hammer, a simple hit with the palm of your fist will do the trick too.
(Not to bag on you Jason, but if I used a hammer I'd most likly bash the damn thing thru the fender wall as the caveman in me only knows "me smash hard with heavy claw thing".)

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Good information thus far guys. I really appreciate it. What do you guys feel the damage is? New starter? Any other damage I should look for when we tear it down??

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Also, why would I not have power after the motor died? The battery was still hooked up.

I have ordered a new ignition switch and starter solenoids. Just trying to make sure I have thought of everything possible before we tear it down.

Thanks for the help so far.

Paul

Mustanger

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2043;start=0#msg13554 date=1124303159]
Also, why would I not have power after the motor died? The battery was still hooked up.

I have ordered a new ignition switch and starter solenoids. Just trying to make sure I have thought of everything possible before we tear it down.

Thanks for the help so far.

Paul
[/quote]

You might want to consider measuring the battery's voltage level. If you have a volt meter, measure the voltage at the terminals first w/o turning the key in the ignition, then again after turning the key. I doubt your battery is bad, but a voltage check is always a good idea so you know what you truly have (you may determine that you may need to recharge the battery).

Another little experiment you could try is to bypass the solenoid with some thick wire and see if you can get the car started that way ;).

coloradoHCS

Paul, last night looked back at some NCRS archieves on troubleshooting and a 1972 Corvette came up with the same problem except for the lack of electrical power. It did turn out to be the starter solenoid. Sounds like Bish and Jbsteven are on target. FYI, Mark.

nfrntau

Paul, In the time you are not trouble shooting on this, I would disconnect your battery cables. Just in case. It would be a shame to short out a new battery or something else.

case12

I had a similar problem where the wire to my starter got too close to the header (those things are hot!), started burning through, and eventually shorted out. I replaced the starter before I noticed the problem. A zip tie pulled to get the wire away from the header did the trick. Maybe worth checking. Casey

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Good idea Casey. I haven't checked that yet. We are waiting or our new Solenoid to come in. I will let everyone know what we find.

Thanks again.

Paul