• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Red/Black GT/CS in Autotrader

Perkchiro

What is the general consensus of those here concerning the use of a chin spoiler. I kinda like them and it looks pretty good on this car. Anybody here have these on their car?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I like it on this car. It's gotta be the right color car with the right wheels and the right stance...Black, red, white, with performance wheels.

A chin spoiler wouldn't look good on my car but I think one would look good on yours.

Perkchiro said:
What is the general consensus of those here concerning the use of a chin spoiler. I kinda like them and it looks pretty good on this car. Anybody here have these on their car?

quicknick

I put one of those on my car back in the 90's, decided I hated it after just one week and took it off. It looked good on the drawing board. Those belong on a 69 Mach 1, not a Cali.

Midnight Special

Perkchiro said:

...I had one on my old green CS back in the '70s. It seemed fitting then (along w/ the Thrush side pipes) but wouldn't do it today. Besides; it was the bolt-on type that departed @ speed on the freeway whereby I ran over it... 'Didn't re-install it after that. I don't like any molded-to-valance spoilers on my cars because of liability of damage repair should I scuff a tall curb or sidewalk at a parking lot etc... I do have them on the Machs.

On a side note: 'Talked to "Somethingspecial" yesterday who will stop by Pleasanton and give us a full report on this car...

somethingspecial

Looked at car in person.

Well, I looked at the car in person and was not impressed, and the salesman was very rude. Lets start at the front and work our way rearward. The chin spoiler is molded to the front valance, and extends onto the front fenders. If you hit anything, it would be very costly to repair. The paint lookes like an Earl Shibe $99.00 paint job. There are spiderweb cracks in the paint where ever there is bondo. ie, front right fender. The hood is a joke. The hood locks are original on right side, barrel lock type on left side. The holes in the hood for the hood locks are cut square, and looks like they were cut with tin snips and peeled away. the hood is cut for the hood scoop. No turn signals in the hood. The aluminum rockers have been cut about six inches from the rear and look to short for the car. The grill is a standard 68' grill with the mounting tabs for the standard 68' trim. there are big voids in the grill as well. The fog lights are Lucas, but not connected to anything.
The front and rear bumpers appear to be original. the front seats are not original, as you can see in the pics above. The motor has a lot of chrome on it, ie. accy. brackets. The radiator looks like it will blow at any time. The A/C block off plate in the dash has a slim line EQ inserted, which means they cut the center out to fit the EQ. The Mustang Script on the fenders were removed and bondo fills the holes. They installed Cobra emblems on fenders. The decklid is original and clean. I could not authenticate the tail light panel. Qtr. panel ext. look original. I saw some wrinkling in the trunk floor over the right frame rail just forward of the tail light panel, suggesting rear end collision. The smaller tail light block off plates are missing, however, the larger ones are in place. It was to dark in the trunk for me to verify the main tail light wireing loom.
Under the car looked good. It has a 1 1/8" front sway bar, as well as a rear sway bar. The front sway bar was saturated with fresh motor oil, but I could not see where it was coming from. Either spillage from oil change, or leaky front main seal. engine has a Street Dominator 4V intake. Vinyl top, headliner, carpet, reat seats, Dash, and door panels looked great. Door latches were painted over with red paint. Door data plate matches Dash VIN.
I asked to see the paper work, as add said original window sticker. The salesman produced a poor photocopy, and held it as if he was reading it, and I had to look over his shoulder to see it. It said it was an origanl GT/CS. He tried to put it back in the file, so I had to demand to see it myself. I went back to do further inspection, and the salesman asked me if I was about done, and made some comment about "Money talks and BS walks". Would not buy this car if it was bargain basement. My opinion, $12K car, at most.
OK, That is it. Hope this sheds some light on the car. Mike

Midnight Special

Thanks Mike!!

Solid proof that good communication and personal inspection (vs good photos) is vital when purchasing one of these. You probably saved one of us alot of disappointment!

Excellent report!

John McGilvary

Just looking at the pics I found the wrong gas cap, the hood pins with one missing and the wrong hood scoup,also to me the holes for the the pins looked to be positioned wrong, and not painted body color around the tail lights. I would have to see a Marti report on this car and then I would still want to know how many true CS parts are left on the car! I love Mustangs, but don't like people who try to misrepresent thier Mustangs. John

68MustangHCS

A little harsh on the report...but one's opinion is just that. If it's a real GT/CS I wouldn't complain...There is not too many left on the road...get yours as soon as you can... I'd say a little spit and polish and a few bucks could put this car on track....I like the car....it's got some style

somethingspecial

GT/CS report.

Please, It wasn't my intension to be HARSH about the car, maybe about the salesman. I pointed out the negatives of the car, as well as the positives. Yes, You are right, a little spit shine and polish, or real elbow grease, would make a fine car. $21K seems really high for a car that will need, in my opinion, a lot of work. It was the attitude from the salesman that turned me away from the car. Un-warranted comments that he made is why I wouldn't pursue the car, hence my comment.
John, You are right, I did forget about the wrong gas cap. The holes are in the correct place for the hood locks, but not original hood. The Photocopy of the window sticker seemed authentic to the car, but I agree, Get a Marti Report.
Mike

Last edited:

rvrtrash

somethingspecial said:
Well, I looked at the car in person and was not impressed, and the salesman was very rude..... I went back to do further inspection, and the salesman asked me if I was about done, and made some comment about "Money talks and BS walks". Mike

It amazes me that someone who's livelyhood depends on customer relations would be such an a##. You'd think in his line of work, he'd be used to dealing with 100 "tire-kickers" to get to the 1 buyer. He must have a trust fund and live with his mom. :grin:

Steve

John McGilvary

somethingspecial said:
Please, It wasn't my intension to be HARSH about the car, maybe about the salesman. I pointed out the negatives of the car, as well as the positives. Yes, You are right, a little spit shine and polish, or real elbow grease, would make a fine car. $21K seems really high for a car that will need, in my opinion, a lot of work. It was the attitude from the salesman that turned me away from the car. Un-warranted comments that he made is why I wouldn't pursue the car, hence my comment.
John, You are right, I did forget about the wrong gas cap. The holes are in the correct place for the hood locks, but not original hood. The Photocopy of the window sticker seemed authentic to the car, but I agree, Get a Marti Report.
Mike
Hi Mike, I wasn't trying to be Harsh in my comments about the car. I was only making an honest observation. The Mustang may be worth 21k to someone but I think it would be worth alot more if it is a true CS and has the original parts to go with it. Thanks for your honest report, and if a CS comes up for sale in my area I will try to do the same. John