• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 C4 filter w/deep pan

tomcwarren

Folks,

I bought a TCI-518000 deep cast aluminum C4 pan for my GT/CS to stop a pan leak w/the stock pan. It arrived w/everything needed (bolts, gasket, and filter extension), but when I removed the stock C4 filter and compared it to the provided TCI extended filter, there were a couple of problems. Seems one bolt hole doesn't line up, and there's a gap on the new filter (curved area at about 7-o'clock in the 2nd pic below). First pic is what my stock filter looks like.

It appears that they provided a filter for a 70-up valve body, and I appear to have and older one (I assume this is the original tranny, so '68).

I cleaned and replaced the stock filter, since I didn't think leaving out a bolt and have a gap I could put my thumb into was a good idea. The question I have is will this work OK (I assume that when I added the extra quart or 2, the level inside the pan rises enough to allow the stock filter pickup area to work), or should I put in the filter extension, or look for a filter extension that fits older valve bodies better?

I googled and didn't find any hits on filter extensions for pre-70 C4s, though.

A quick test drive seems OK, but I don't want to hurt my tranny if it's sucking air instead of fluid. I've seen other deep pans for sale that don't provide a filter extension, and I assume that, since the dipstick doesn't need modifying, and it sticks down into the pool of fluid in the pan, if it's showing 'full' then the fluid is at (or over) the mouth of the stock filter, and it should be OK.

Has any one used this pan (or another deep pan) w/o a filter extension? Or does anyone know where I can buy a filter extension (Bronco? etc.) that'll fit an older valve body?

Thanks,

Tom

Note: The 1st pic is the stock filter, and the 2nd pic is the filter that came w/the pan. Rotate it about 45 degress counterclockwise to see how they (almost) line up.

Attachments

• c4-filter-stock.jpg
    c4-filter-stock.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 9
  • c4-filter-deep.jpg
    c4-filter-deep.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 13

Perkchiro

Hey Tom: same situation here. I had my tranny rebuilt but my trans pan was rusted and looked bad, so I replaced it with a trick flow deep finned aluminum pan. The filter that came with it didn't fit, so I kept the original. No problems after three years of occasional driving. I'd leave the final word on the subject of damage for some of the experts here, but that's been my experience.