• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 door grille template

robert campbell

I just made that bracket for the EXP. A flat piece of steel, trim the ends and then used a brake to fold the two edges up to stiffen...

And I have access to a '68 factory AM/FM car right now, if anyone wants a speaker template. As noted, I'd say its just as easy to just measure and cut to suit the new speaker.

Richard,
I was going suggest that he order the brackets from you!!!! My wife has a friend in Victoria and we know all about the cost of shipping to down under!!! The husband loves Victoria Bitter beer. Not sure that anything called a "bitter" would be to my liking!!! Have you had it??

With Rob it is "all about the beer"!!!!

Rob

dalorzo_f

:wink:I can make up a pair if needed. Postage costs...

VB is the Budweiser of Australia (the Aussies don't think so!) a stronger flavour, but still low end mass-consumption beer IMHO. I'd have a XXXX bitter before a VB. Local Queensland brewed beer. There is still a legacy of the "tied house" here and regional breweries still hold strong local markets.

I prefer Coopers and Little Creatures Pale Ale (similar to a Sierra Nevada). The beer scene here has changed in the last decade, a few more craft ones coming available but nowhere near the variety and quality in the US. If I could only find a DogFishHead 90 Minute IPA here I would be sooooooo happy!

An no one here drinks Fosters!:smile:

ADaleR1

Rob,
yes I have speakers in hand and was going to use your template as a starting point for knowing where to mount the trim piece and courtesy light. I hope to be able to work on it this weekend and see if I can sort it all out. I do plan on going full deluxe door panels. Where can I get those bars?

Richard,
I'm glad to hear that no one down under drinks Fosters! That is terrible beer

Dale

robert campbell

Dale,
For 67 the deluxe door panel has a molded in arm rest. The standard use a screw on arm rest. The pull strap is unique to 1968 only. So no need for the strap anchor bars.

Rob

dalorzo_f

Ruppstang

Back to the topic. I ran across this Ford speaker installation instruction sheet. Sorry I can not scan 11X17.
Marty

Attachments

• Ford speaker instlation instructions 001.jpg
    Ford speaker instlation instructions 001.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Ford speaker instlation instrutions 001.jpg
    Ford speaker instlation instrutions 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 74

robert campbell

Marty,
How cool is that!!! My hole was oval shape not rectangular. What I thought Ford might have done.

Rob

Ruppstang

IMHO it made it easer to cut a rectangular hole, but probably did not do much for the sound quality. I think we may have discussed earlier that there were only standard and deluxe doors. When a car got a option that required a door speaker it was cut on the line so it needed to be done quickly.
Marty

robert campbell

Marty,
To turn back time and see a line worker slapping on a template and cutting out this hole would be a site to see! These speaker holes must have wide variance as to location and quality? This kinda brings us around to the creation of the GT/CS with the script holes, the hood pin holes, and the hole for the center stud on the side scoop.

The fact that basic metal cutting and trimming were performed on the line is something we seem to be just learning about. Not to mention the welding on the GT optioned Mustang in 1968.

Believe it or not, I used tin snips to cut out the oval speaker hole. Drilled a large hole in the middle and then opened it up to about 1/4 inch from the final hole. A pair of "right and left" tin snips can be used to cut a very nice opening that needs just a small bit of filing to make it look almost punched out. I was a sheetmetal mechanic by trade and used tin snips almost every day. Boy did I once have a strong grip and forearms like Popeye!!

Rob

67fast

Just joined the forum, I have a 67 fastback and would like to upgrade the doors.
Is the template available?

Ruppstang

Rob if you can not find your I still have one. You need to go out to the shop and deep breath some combusted gasoline fumes, it all ways makes me feel better!
Marty

67fast

Marty if you have a copy you can send me that would be great.
Have not heard from Rob he must still be sick.
Steve

robert campbell

Steve,
Got it in my hot hands!!! I am just old and forgetful! Send me and address to this e-mail or just reply here if you are ok with that. You need to flip if over for one side to the other. Just center punch holes through it and tape it on the door. do not worry if the tape pulls off and cardboard. It also has the location for the factory speaker hole if desired.

Most people do not file fit the "square" holes for the plastic inserts. If you choose to, be very careful because it is easy to get them to big. Ask me how I know!! You gotta love the beer boxes I made it out of!!

Rob

robert campbell

Steve,
Template will be in the mail today. Feel free to open up holes for marking and such. Tape it down good and fit the grill and check the mounting holes. Then stand back and admire those door grills when done!!

Rob

68 special

I just moved awhile back and I'm still unpacking or I would have offered mine.

Eventually, I'll find them.

Thanks Rob

Bret

Tequila

Sorry to resurrect an older thread. I was wondering if this template is available to purchase anywhere. I am trying to figure out the exact locations for the lights and holes for the wiring harness. I found an online site where they asking for $9 for download but not sure how I can print...

Thank you.

pnsy56shop

Would anyone have an unmolested copy of the template, would like to scan the template and have it in a file so if some needed it they could download and print it on a commercial copier.
Thanks Joe