• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ADMIN - One of our own has passed away

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm struggling with how to make this very shocking and horrible announcement, so I will just be brief...

On February 21, 2007 Jason Wieder died in a car accident while driving his GT/CS. Many of you knew him as Jayscal, an active and long time member here on the forums. His car is featured in May on the CS.com wall calendar.

I was contacted by one of his good friends a couple of weeks ago, but didn't want to post anything until getting permission from Jason's wife.

Although most of us may never meet I like to think of this group as good friends, and I know this is very hard news to hear. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

bztz4m

Sorry to hear about a loss of a fellow GT/CS owner and friend of the forum

speedy02

My thoughts and prayers go to his family.

I was just talking to him in early Feb about the seats he installed and I am visiting that area in July and was going to try to meet up with him. I am deeply sadden on his death.

BroadwayBlue

Although most of us may never meet I like to think of this group as good friends, and I know this is very hard news to hear. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

They are all in my prayers.
This is difficult and sad news to hear.

I'm having a tough time to find the words I want to say right now.

I've always felt the same way about the site. I feel like I truly "know" many of you although we've never met or talked. A great group of friends.
We've all lost a friend...

P

PNewitt

Finding out about this, this morning via PM from another member was very disheartening, to say the least. This, to my knowledge, has never happened in the registry. Accidents, yes, but not a total loss like this. Hearing this stopped me in my tracks all day today.

Like many of those that I see here, I may not have connected a direct friendship with Jay, but I DO see the names and avitars, and the content of the words, and I DO feel like this is a group of family members. Certainly, more conversation has "gone under the bridge" here than with my own cousins.

What strikes me personally, is although I didn't know Jay all that well, he got his GT/CS at 18, and had it for a very long time--and that it was Maroon. All of the very same parallels as the ownership of my (maroon) GT/CS. I think of all the good times in my car, the dates, the taunting for a race at the light, the long drives home in the rain, and yet; here is someone with a parallel experience--that is now gone. The irony and sympathy is almost unbearable to feel.

I think it's fair to say that we all thought: that could have been me. Same car, same situations, same love for what we hold dear to ourselves. For a moment, it makes us stop and think about our own fragility on the road, and how this (almost) 40 year old vehicle can show it's collective "safety age"--as compared to today's cars with air bags, ABS, etc. Driving any Mustang pre-1975, in today's traffic, is like roughing it in a vintage WWII fighter. People in luxury, and/or safety-enhanced vehicles drive with that (false sense of) "confidence", and will go faster, and brake later than we would in our vehicles. The realities (and stastistics) of the road are not good. We like to bask in the glory of the heritage, but, at times we could use the four-point harness, the gas shield, roll bar, and four-dics ABS, just to survive out there. I dread at the thought of what could have happened to me in all those 450,000 miles of driving. Like the night in 1992, while on 101 in Hollywood, an "crazy old Bonneville" was weaving through traffic at 95 mph, and missed my rear by literally one inch...

What I feel is not unlike how Firemen, Police, or Military comrades feel when they lose someone they may not know all that well in the same unit. It's disheartening, because we are so CLOSE to the same elements that they were in.

I will miss Jay, and it will give me a little more appreciation of just what we all have here together. My part has been the collective conversation with owners for over 30 years, including this site. I feel like I lost a family member. I, at least have been seeing folks as a name, an avitar, and their words and smileys. I will see everyone from now on as a little bit closer, and view this appreciation of this type of Mustang a lot more than I have--because it has MORE to do with people than it has to do with sheet metal, iron and fiberglass.

My heart goes out to Jay's wife and family, and to those that knew him.
He will be remembered in the book.

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar

Diesel Donna

Oh I have such an empty heart over this loss in our family. I hurt all day today when I found out.
My deepest condolences to his wife Franny and family.

Rest in peace my brother.

somethingspecial

When I got the call today, I was in shock. I never had the privilage to talk, or chat with Jason, but his moniker and avitar are known to me. I felt, with heavy heart, like I had lost a close friend or family member. Last year, my wife and I, held the August BBQ at our home for the proud owners of the GT/CS. We didn't care if the car was running or not, If not, Get here anyways. Well, We quickly learned the members of this site, and outside of the site, are some of the best people we have ever met. We quickly became a family, and will be proud to get with them again. Jason, We never met, but I know you see these words, May you enjoy the ride, as you were doing on that fateful night, and I will see you later my friend and brother. We will save a place for you at the table this August. Our deepest sympathy to your family. Mike and Robinette Jewell.

rvrtrash

This is horrible! I can't even express how I feel, except to ask if there is anything I can do to help. Is there an address for the funeral home or somewhere I can at least send a card?

Steve

69convert

That is terrible news. A good reminder on how precious life is and how we should be thankful for every day. I feel for his family.

Mustanger

Life is precious, and everyone is special ... I hope we can all be reminded to be kind and patient with one another ... my prayers go out to Jay's family and friends ...

68gt390

My heart felt condolences go out to his family. It's never easy loosing a loved one but, to loose them in this way, long before their time is even more tragic.

Don :sad:

Last edited:

obsidianspider

God bless. He was from my home town before he moved to FL and was one of the first people to welcome me to the boards. He will be missed.

Midnight Special

...I never spoke with Jason on the phone, but through e-mail and our home (site) here, I was fortunate to have some really nice dialog w/ him culminating in some posters of his car and my purchase of his two immaculate GT/CS front seats. I went out and looked at them last nite....heavy hearted... I thought; Wow - I have something that spent alot of time in his car that will now occupy a place of honor in mine.

I awoke this a.m. compelled to log on and read many of Jason's posts only to find him among the proudest of owners as well as a consumate lover of life.

How wonderful to have the means to connect and create fellowship all over the world with our "Special" catalyst - yet how sad that we sometimes wait too late before we realize it's true value.

Jason, like so many of you was truly one of God's good ones! May his memory remind us to live and give for today so we may have no regrets tomorrow. God bless you and your family Jason! We'll carry on with you in our hearts.

CJ

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jay's family.

CJ & family

joedls

Whenever I think of Jay, I think about how much pride he evidently had in his GT/CS. I mean, how many people buy a car when they're 18 and keep it as long as he did? It's a tragedy to lose someone at the prime of their life. My heart goes out to his family. And I'll make sure to go home and let my family know how much I love and appreciate them.

marie68csmustangs

Although, I never met Jay. It's a big family here, and it's always a great shock to loose one of your family. I know last April I lost two family members. Not too long ago, I lost two automotive instructors at my school, they passed away from heart attacks. You just have to take one day at a time and enjoy life - even thought it can get hard from time to time.. Jay will be missed here..

Marie

CJ

Jason Wieder
832786_02282007_1.jpg
JASON WIEDER PALM BAY Jay Wieder, 41 years old,passed away suddenly onWednesday, February21,20 07. He wasborn March 30,1965 in Allentown, PA. to the late Allan and Jean Wieder. Jay and his wife, Frances moved to Palm Bay in 2002. He worked at Intersil Corp and was an avid member of the local Mustang club. His pride and joy was his 68 Mustang California Special. He enjoyed his car hobbies, playing pool, working in his home, playing with his dogs. He could be found on Friday Family night in downtown Melbourne dancing in the streets with his wife, Franny. Jay had a zest for life and many interests and talents. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. In addition to his wife, Frances, he is survived by three step-children; five step- grandchildren; and his sister, Charlene. He was preceded in death by his sister, Sharon. Calling hours and a Celebra tion of his Life will be held Sun day, March 4, 2007 from 1 to 5 p.m., at his home, at 1818 Big Cypress Street NE, Palm Bay. Arrangements entrusted to Brownlie-Maxwell funeral home.

Here is the link to the obituary from the funeral home. There is also a place where you may want to sign the guest book. http://www.legacy.com/FloridaToday/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=86644711

CJ