• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale What's it worth?

Cumminszhere

Hello fellow mustang lovers. New poster here. Long time mustang owner. I am the second owner of the California Special I currently own. I've owned it since 1983. I've had it at my father's place in Eureka, Montana for the last 4 years. I have come to the stage in my life were I just have to much stuff in my life. The car being one of them. I have put about 250 miles on it since I had the drivetrain upgraded in 1990. I'm curious what you guys think it might be worth. It no longer has the original drivetrain. I wasn't worried about matching numbers. I wanted a drivetrain that would eat nails and smile back. The 302 was replaced with a '69 351 windsor block. This enabled me to run a 4bbl carb and be Ca smog legal at the time. It's got one of the original sets of Dart II heads. All the performance parts. All Cobra trim including oil pan. The engine was blueprinted. A small case C-6 moves it, which was fully rebuilt with HD parts. A custom driveshaft connects to a posi 9" with 3.50 gears.
The car came stock with the GT package. Disc brakes. Factory tach. Shift console. A/C (not connected). The car needs some interior work (Headliner is torn as well as the driver's seat). The paint isn't perfect either. The car is black as is the interior. I have removed the side striping and emblems. The car has shelby 10 spoke wheels and fresh rubber (Goodyear Eagles I think).
The original owner and former co-worker told me his father in-law purchased the car for his daughter as a present. The father in-law was a Ford executive and I believe the car has every option but the overhead console (That's what the previous seller said). You guys would surely know what the options were in '68.

The Ca license plate is "CA SPCL".

When I was a young man it was my dream car. I have other priorities now.

Mike

Mosesatm

Mike, are you familiar with the Marti report? It is the first thing any potential buyer will request. There is no other way to be 100% sure the car is a true factory California Special.

What would help us help you would be photos. It sounds like a fantastic car and you probably have some of us drooling but without the photos we are pretty well at a loss to be able to offer any advice.

OP
OP
C

Cumminszhere

I have heard of the Marti report. I'll have to get a printout. It's a legit CS.

I'll have the old man take some pictures this weekend. I've got some old pictures laying around here somewhere. They were taken when I still had the original GT rims on. I'll post a couple when I find them.

Mike

Edit:

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Mustang-1.jpg
    Mustang-1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Mustang-2.jpg
    Mustang-2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Mustang-3.jpg
    Mustang-3.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cumminszhere

I'm really just dippin' my big toe to check the temperature of the market. With the economic forces presently at work I realize it's not an opportune time to sell. But if you don't ask the answer is no.

Mike

mike in CA

Mike
It will be hard to put an exact value on your car because it is so modified. You eliminate the people that want an original car for restoration. So the value is dependent upon whether people think the mods add value or take away value. And that is a personal decision. Some interior and engine pics would help. I think it would be way too expensive to get it back to stock, so you need to find someone that has the same tastes in mods. Someone like that would pay more than someone looking for a stock original car. I know that is not much help, but you have seen the asking price of the original one on Ebay and another one sold two weeks ago in very nice condition for $11K on ebay. Another sold a couple of months ago for $14K. So that will give you an idea of where the market is. Cars that are in the higher end (over $14K) tend to take a long while to sell in this market. I hope that helps.

Mike

Mustanglvr

If this car came with the GT Package, then it will sell for more, even if it's not all original. It'll be a good thing if the Marti report mentions it was a Ford employees car too.

mike in CA

It does not have the cutots for the exhaust in the rear valance nor does it have the GT wheels. So I would have to question if it has the GT package as both of those were standard with the GT package. I gues the Marti report would tell the tale though.

Mike

Mustanglvr

It does not have the cutots for the exhaust in the rear valance nor does it have the GT wheels. So I would have to question if it has the GT package as both of those were standard with the GT package. I gues the Marti report would tell the tale though.

Mike

Very true, good eye Mike!

mike in CA

Thanks. Of course that still does not mean it is not a GT. It could have been in an accident in the rear and they changed it with the wrong one during the repair. Also wheels are easily changed so only the Marti report would be the diffinitive answer. It raises the question though.

Cheers

Mike

OP
OP
C

Cumminszhere

I just ordered a Marti report. Should have it within two weeks. I'll post it when I get it. I'll get my father to pull the cover off and take some pictures. I'll post those when I receive them.

Mike

mike in CA

It looks like a real Special, just not with the GT package. There were not that many Cal Specials that were actually a real GT. It is a confusing thing because of the name GT/CS. Many people think that all Specials were GT's. But in truth, the vast majority were not. I will have to look it up in Pauls book as to the production numbers, but the rear valance is usually how you tell. Of course after more than 40 years, many have been changed due to incorrect repairs. For the record, I think it looks nice too. It just comes down to value. A Special that came with the GT Package is worth more than one that did not. So it is important to know whether it is or is not a GT.

Cheers

Mike

franklinair

If you can give the VIN, it may be listed in one of the earlier registries.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
C

Cumminszhere

Here it is. My recollection of the GT package was the original owner said it had the GT suspension, which I incorrectly assumed to be the whole package.

Mike

Attachments

• Marti Report 2.pdf
    349.3 KB · Views: 127

gofastguy

This was quite a well-optioned car, and apparently did belong to someone connected in some way to Ford since it is showing as an "A" Plan purchase.

Mustanglvr

This was quite a well-optioned car, and apparently did belong to someone connected in some way to Ford since it is showing as an "A" Plan purchase.

I agree.
Also, since it's a 289 C code, it could'nt have had the GT package.

BroadwayBlue

Here it is. My recollection of the GT package was the original owner said it had the GT suspension, which I incorrectly assumed to be the whole package.

Mike

The Marti always helps.

Nicely optioned car though!! Automatice, A/C, PS, PB, Console, AM/FM Stereo, Remote mirror, Tach, Trip odometer, Heavy Duty Battery and Suspension, Chrome wheels, etc ... sounds like a sticker off a late model Mustang! :smile:

Must of been one of the higher priced small block CS's at the time.

For future reference, you had to have at least a 302 engine to get the GT package. You could not order the GT package with a 289 engine from the factory.

BroadwayBlue

Sorry Steve and Rhonda, didn't see your posts before I posted - didn't realize there was a 2nd page to the thread - you beat me to it! Great minds think alike! :cool:

rvrtrash

I seem to recall discussions in the past about people not ordering the GT package with the CS, because some of it was superceded by the CS package and it was cheaper to order just the parts you would actually get, seperately. To Mike's benefit, it looks like the original owner did that on this car (except for the 302 or larger of course). I think it's a nice car, from the pics and description. I wouldn't mind owning it if the price was right, and that's the sticking point. In today's market, it won't bring what it would have two years ago. Anyway, if someone is hot to have it, and wants me to look at it, and if Mike's dad will bring it down here, I'll look it over for you. Just an offer.

Steve