• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT option listed on Marti report?

Sitting here pondering a copy of a Marti report on a vehicle that I am strongly considering purchasing. No mention is made of the vehicle being a GT, however it has the "J" in the VIN #. The tire size is 7.35X 14 and wheel covers are listed as "Wire Wheel Covers". I beleive that this would with certainty preclude the automobile as being an actual GT, however please give me your input on this as I am a novice at this detective work on a 68 Mustang, and the price difference is substantial without the GT option. Please give your thoughts on this matter, and does any one have a copy of a Marti report from a car that DOES mention the GT option? Any help would be gladly welcomed ??? pertaining to this question. Thanks, John Murphy

68sunlitgold

John,
The report should say "GT option" if it has it, you are right that the "J" code or 302 made it a canidate for the GT option. But if your car stated "wire wheel covers" then your hunch is right, it is not a GT. There would be the argent (or chrome wheels if you wanted) wheels with the "GT" centers. I do not have a report with "GT" option on it but I am sure other here do. It sounds like you are looking for a CS that has the "GT" option on it, but if this car is in good shape it may be what you want. The 302 is a great motor and even without the GT option is a very valued car. Good luck.
Doug

hcsstang

My car is a 68 J code hcs with a orginal 302V4 and it had a singal exhaust. and not a GT. But I put duals with cutouts and tips on and it sounds and looks a lot better.

deestix

John,
I own a GT/CS with the GT option on the car, and, the Marti Report I have for my car does list the GT option. I ordered a whole bunch of Marti reports for different cars before buying this one, and they always seemed to be accurate.
If the car you're considering is in nice shape, in colors which appeal to you, I'd advise you to think about purchasing it, even without the GT option. These are rare cars, and if you don't care about originality, you can always add it. Or, enjoy the car without it!
Richard R.

OP
OP
G

Thanks for confirming my fear. Somehow one feels more secure with a confirmation of something that deep down you knew in the first place. Now for the big question - what effect does the lack of being a "real GT" have on the price. That is a difficult question at best, but if you were purchasing what value would you place on the GT option. Any thoughts will be appreciated and help with the quandry. Thanks, John Murphy

classicsguy

When I was in the market for a California Special it was very important for me that the GT option was present. A very knowledgeable Mustang person told me that if you buy a GT/CS witout the GT option is just another coupe with a distinctive appearance package. He buys and sells Mustangs and he won't buy a California Special that is not a true factory GT. In my opinion I would only buy a Big block C. Special without the GT option because they are so rare otherwise it must have the GT option that makes it more valuable. Just my honest opinion and no intention of offending anyone.

68sunlitgold

John,
If you look at the "Price Guide" on this site you will see that the GT option does add to the price of a car, $600 for poor all the way to $2000 for excellent condition. I agree that a car with this option is very desirable, but I do not agree with "a GT/CS without the GT option is just another coupe with a distinctive appearance package." That "distinctive appearance package" is what separates the CS from other 68 mustangs. A 68 CS is worth more than a plain 68 coupe just like a 68 CS with GT option is worth more than a 68 GT.
The bottom line is what do you want, if you desire the GT option, than don't buy a CS without it, if you are looking for a distinctive 68 mustang, than the CS is your car. If power is what you are looking for than get a CS with a 302 or 390 in it. It comes down to what are you looking for, remember you are the one driving it and feeling your chest puff up when someone looks at your car and says "Wow...that car is awsome!!".
Good luck in your search.
Doug

deestix

Even though I was lucky enough to find a CS with the GT option, I don't think that option is the 'be all and end all' for these cars.
When I was looking, condition, colors which were pleasing to me (now THERE'S a subjective subject!), and options (in general) were my areas of focus. For example, it was very important to me to find a car with a center console! To me, that console completely transforms the interior. Of course, not everyone will agree with me on that one, but that's what was important to me.
I would have bought 'the right car' without the GT package, and would have been happy.
If you must have the GT package, hold out for it!! But these are nice cars even without it. There's a limited number of cars for sale at any given time, so any choice is a compromise. Good luck!!
Richard R.