• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS and Vintage racing?

dwmurray

Hello, I am new to this site, but certainly not new to mustangs. Currently own a 65 2+2, 66, 67vintage road racer, and 68GT/CS. I am currious if anyone has ever come across any history of anyone racing a GT/CS in SCCA or Trans-Am racing. Lots of pictures out there of 67 and 68 shelby notchback racers, but I have never seen any with the GT/CS bodywork. Any info appreciated. Thanks

68sunlitgold

dwmurray,
Paul printed this in his 96 registry, it is a letter he recieved from Mr Spencer about using the decklid from a CS during a '68 SCCA race, or should I say the attempt.
Doug

Attachments

• CS_racin.jpg
    CS_racin.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 13

hookedtrout

I help host a Yahoo group for vintage Mustangs and one of the members owns a California Special. It has been wrecked in the front and the grill replaced etc but he says it is a GT/CS and he races it. If I figured out how to attach the pictures they should be included.

Cory

Attachments

• DSC_1791.jpg
    DSC_1791.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16

hookedtrout

Here is the last picture, and the information he sent me below.

Cory

I am a fellow Mustang freak, started driving a '68 coupe (my Moms) with my first license in 1973. This is only my second Mustang … I had Moms up until 1999! It was stolen, wrecked and recovered in less than 24 hours in 1993. In the working world I am an International Product Support Engineer for Varian Medical Systems working on their Clinical Linear Accelerators for treating cancer patients.

Here are a couple of pictures of my GT/CS out on Sears Point Raceway (now Infineon) with the Nor-Cal Shelby Club back on Labor Day weekend.

It is an original 289/4-speed car that was abused and neglected by a teenager here in the San Francisco Bay area. It was hit very hard at one time in the left front fender. The body shop that did the work neglected to put the original Lucas Fog lights back on and did not straighten the front frame completely.

I have owned the car for about four years now and have upgraded it to a 300HP 302 and a custom T5 from Modern Drivelines. I have also added front disc brakes, full Total Control sub frame connectors, Corbaeu Seats and a few suspension goodies. A four point rollbar and five point harnesses have been added for extra safety.

This car is my daily driver during the nicer days here. It is a blast to drive and gets its’ fair deal of attention out on the road. Future plans are for bigger brakes, adding an original full-length console and redoing the dash. Hopefully next winter it will get the frame fixed and a full paint job.

Joe P.

Attachments

• 685FinishLine2.jpg
    685FinishLine2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 14

rjw

Sharp looking car. Who says the Cal Special is just a "trim package" for looks? Man, I love those Shelby 10-spoke wheels...
Richard

68sunlitgold

Joe,
Great pics.....I don't know that once I get my CS back on the road that I would have the guts to race it.
Doug

Oh, now, that's just too darn cool!!

thanks for posting those pictures.

10-spokes look cool on these cars, huh?? I'm looking at getting the '69 Shelby 5-spoke wheels (a Shelby accessory in '68) for my car.

Paul. :eek:

OP
OP
D

dwmurray

Thanks guys for the replys and photos. If anyone every finds record of someone competing with a gt/cs (and getting away with it) let me know!