• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Real time chat room for GT/CS?

Diesel Donna

Hi all....I'm new here so I'm wondering if there is a live chat room available? I see when there are users online but I wonder if anyone would be interested in talking in real time in a room/group? Jon?
Just a thought. I have really enjoyed the camraderie here already. :)
~~~~Donna

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Interesting that it's the women who want to gab. ;D (j/k)

We used to have a chat room, but it was hardly ever used, and it wasn't private so people would wander in and sometimes cause problems.

When I upgrade the forums to the new software I'll have some more choices for chat add-ons. I'll take a look at those and see if we can't get something together.

Mosesatm

Ok, I'll ask this question for all us chat room ignorant people.

What is the difference between what we now do and a chat room?

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=2056;start=0#msg14472 date=1126793380]
Ok, I'll ask this question for all us chat room ignorant people.

What is the difference between what we now do and a chat room?
[/quote]

real time compared to delayed.

Can we add a section of the forum for prices realized on Ebay/auctions etc?

nfrntau

I would like to see a link to a members Gallery photos when you click on their member name.
Maybe I'm missing something but when it's said photo in Gallery I haven't found a really easy way to find it.

hookedtrout

Not that it's a big deal but another small change that would make sense is to remove the word (NEW!) by the Forum link on the left. I'd say we've had enough battles in the forum to consider it established. ::)

Hook

Mosesatm

I hope everyone realizes that every new and nifty thing we ask for adds significantly to Jon's workload.

Jon, I think the site works great as it is but if you want to make upgrades to it by all means go ahead. I agree that some of the ideas presented would be nice but if they are too much work please just let us know.

Personally, I don't mind not having instant messaging. Some times it's good to slow things down.

Mustanglvr

Instant messaging is fun, but the way the forum is now, we can read through the posts, past and present and know what everybody is saying. Just my 2 cents worth.
Rhonda

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Can we add a section of the forum for prices realized on Ebay/auctions etc?
I wonder if that would really require a whole new forum or if it could just be handled by an ongoing thread that was always on the top? I don't mind making a new forum if it will get used and updated regularly.

Not that it's a big deal but another small change that would make sense is to remove the word (NEW!) by the Forum link on the left.
Good point. Clicking on it is so automatic to me that I don't even notice.

I would like to see a link to a members Gallery photos when you click on their member name.

Agreed, but not possible with the current forum software. (or more accurately, I don't know how to code it) When I switch to the new forum software the gallery will also be revamped. It will become integrated with the forum so that each member can control their own photos and description. There will also be a link under each person's name (if they chose) to take you to their personal photo album.

Instant messaging is fun, but the way the forum is now, we can read through the posts, past and present and know what everybody is saying.

My guess is that adding a chat room won't detract from the forum. Most questions will still get asked and answered in the forums just as they are now. In my experience with another automotive site I run, typically the chat room ends up being more of a social thing with very little technical discussion.

Although, you can get some great tech info if you catch the right person at the right time. We have enough experts on here that it might be worth setting up a specific time/day of the week when the chat would be open for tech questions.

I hope everyone realizes that every new and nifty thing we ask for adds significantly to Jon's workload.

Maybe not "significantly", but that's true to an extent and I appreciate you bringing it up. However, I'm always open to suggestions. If I can incorporate them I will. If it's something I can't do because of either lack of time of lack of knowledge (like custom coding forum software) then I'll let you know. But it's never because I don't appreciate the ideas.

hookedtrout

With all that said Jon I'll also add you do a great job and it sounds like you have some great plans ahead, I really like the changes in the photo section you mention. Keep up the great work and you have my appreciation for offering a place to get together with so many friends of the CS and I'd like to think friends of mine as well.

Cory

rvrtrash

Ditto from me Jon. I probably wouldn't use the chat room since I'm usually on here at about midnight PST, and everyone else is asleep dreaming of wide tail lights glowing through tire smoke, but if it works for everyone else, have fun.
Steve

390cs68rcode

on hipomustang.com they have a section on sales and prices and they list the vin in the title of each thread which makes it somewhat easy to find what car you are looking for compared to scrolling through a really long post.

my vote is for an extra section for prices. :)