• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Icon in text

TraveledGTCS

How does one enter one of the 'Post Icons' in the body of the thread? I can have it showing in the Title line, but I can't get it to show up in the body of my text.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Mosesatm

But make sure your curser is where you want the icon to end up. If your curser isn't in the body of the text the icon will end up in the title.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

I tried and nada. I have the curser in the body of the text and select one of the icons, but it still goes up to the Title line. What am I doing wrong.

When I copy the icon I get this: http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

When I try to 'move' the icon from the title line I get similar results.

I have windows 7.1 and Office 365, so is there an adjustment I need to make.

Thanks again.

Bill

CougarCJ

I tried and nada. I have the curser in the body of the text and select one of the icons, but it still goes up to the Title line. What am I doing wrong.

When I copy the icon I get this: http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

When I try to 'move' the icon from the title line I get similar results.

I have windows 7.1 and Office 365, so is there an adjustment I need to make.

Thanks again.

Bill
Are you copying and pasteing the link? (right clicking?) Just left click them, easy peasy.
:smile::wink::cheesy::sad::mad::grin::eek:

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Hey CougarCJ - it may be easy peasy for you but for me it's no chill, Bill.

I've placed the curser over the icon, right clicked copy, left clicked in the text box area and right clicked pasted - nada. I've even placed the curser over the item left clicked and held it down and moved to the text box. The icon is reflected and travels with the curser until I release the left click and then the http..... shows up instead.

Somewhere I'm doing something wrong or something needs to be changed in my settings.

Hey Admin - any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

franklinair

You're like me. You need some teenager that grew up with these contraptions.:confused:

Neil

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Yeah Neil, that's too true, but what's really bad is I used to be a go to guy for computer problems where I used to work before I retired nine years ago. This new windows stuff has me lost, I just stick with the basics as much as I can. I just went to 7.1 about three months ago - put it off as long as I could, course it meant a new computer since my old one had already been upgraded as much as it could.

Now if I can only figure out how to put a icon in with this text, I would be happy.

I may try it at the local library one of these days and see if it works there.

Bill

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Bill,

At first I thought you were asking about inserting smilies, which I think is what everyone else thought you were asking too, because their advice is correct for that. But you're talking about the "post icons", which are totally (but subtly) different then smilies. There are several shared between the two, but they're not the same.

For example the thumbs up icon is a "post icon" but not available as a smilie:
icon14.gif

Anyway, to answer your question:

1. Start a new thread. Find the "post icon" you want to use down below.
  2. Right click on the "Post Icon" and select "Copy Image Location" (or similar wording depending on your browser)
  3. Put your cursor in the body of your message.
  4. Click the "Insert Image" icon. (looks like this
    insertimage.gif
    )
  5. A window pops up. Right click to paste what you copied into that box.

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Jon,

Nope, I'm at the library and none of the wording you mentioned doesn't show up. Just the "Copy" "Paste" etc. The browser the library uses is Internet Explorer 10; and I believe I use the same at home. I can enter pictures at the thread bottom, an icon in the Title, but no icons in the text.

I even started a new thread but still nada.

Oh well, I'll just continue as before until I find out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Bill

admin

Staff member
Administrator
It looks like Internet Explorer has one more step. Here are revised instructions.

1. Start a new thread. Find the "post icon" you want to use down below.
  2. Right click on the "Post Icon" and select "Properties"
  3. In the window that pops up highlight the "address" (ie. http://californiaspecial.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif) then right click and select "copy".
  4. Put your cursor in the body of your message.
  5. Click the "Insert Image" icon. (looks like this
    insertimage.gif
    )
  6. A window pops up. Right click to paste what you copied into that box.

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Hi Jon.... again,

I'm back home now and I have Internet Explorer 11 on my computer.

I did the properties thing, and copied the URL but when I go to paste, there is only "Paste," "Delete," "Send to One Note," "Select All," and "Inspect element." When I do the 'Paste' the URL is displayed, as in one of the earlier submissions in this thread.

I tried to use Google Chrome and it come up with the same problem.

What browser do you use?

(If you want to contact me via email: wnorman@mashell.com - unless others are having the same problem and just following along the thread to see what the outcome is.)

Thanks again,

Bill

joedls

Try right clicking on the icon. Click "copy". Then go into the body of the text and right click where you want the icon, then click on "paste".
icon14.gif

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

Try right clicking on the icon. Click "copy". Then go into the body of the text and right click where you want the icon, then click on "paste".
icon14.gif

Hi Joe,

I've tried it several times but when I do the paste, the URL shows up. But looking at your quote in the reply mode I think I have found a way around it.
icon10.gif

Yep it worked. I had to put "
"

It's a bother, but at least I know how I need to do it with my system.

Thanks one and all for your many suggestions.

Jon, I don't know why I can't do it as you suggest, but I now have a work-around.

Again Thanks,

Bill