• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help getting started on my project

bassman2

Quick intro and thanks to those commenting in the classified section - I picked up a j code car this past sunday for 10k. Marti report shows:
California special
c-4
f70x14 wide oval tires
white sidewalls
power disc brakes
power steering
air cond
am radio
tinted glass
deluxe belts
wheel covers

build date 2/7/68

I'm hoping to get some advice for places to buy parts and places to stay away from. Also maybe some advice as to what to start with first and how far to take the resto/mod. I bought the car as a project for myself - I want to do most of the work myself - if possible. To gain experience, not as a money saving issue.

Here's a summary of the condition of the car:

It looks like it has been partially restored -

Body appears to be OK - there is evidence of some repairs (replacement door), but for the most part it's straight and has very little rust - so far that I have discovered.

It Runs and functions - I drove it 4 hours on I-5. No major issues. The motor is a replacement. The steering seems very loose. I plan on rebuilding the entire suspension system.

The interior is shot.

Here's a few pics.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/bassmanranger/IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

case12

Welcome to the site. You came to the right place for help. Just about any question you have, to the detail, can be answered here. We are all a friendly family here, and have experts in just about anything Mustang and everything GT/CS and HCS. It looks like you have a great starter project.....mostly seems like a lot of detail work if you already drove it 4 hours! Is it the original color? Thanks, Casey

Ruppstang

It looks like a great starting point. You will find much help on this site. With that help you will be suprised what you can do your self. I am a MCA gold card judge, and can help with any quetions of MCA rules ect. Good luck and welcome! Marty

robert campbell

Welcome Bassman2!
Loose steering can be a combination of alot of worn things, bad alignment, or just one very worn component. As you give us more information maybe we can help you put your money in the best spots. Many things can be done "down the road" so to speak.

But you may have very deep pockets (I don't) and can just attack all of it. I think one of the first things you will need to decide is whether you want to go for a complete "rotisserie" job with everything removed or what I call a “rolling restoration” where you kinda attack it with the engine and suspension still in the car. That is what I have done mostly as the cars I have where pretty solid.

On other thing is total originality for concurs judging or just a respectable fun car with some mild modifications. This site (not me) has tons of advice on the concurs route. I am more a modified guy.

Anyway, what a great start of a car!! All of us love to assist with advice from basic engine tuning to high performance stuff. I am very adept at spending other peoples money!!!

Ask away. You will be amazed at the help. There are no stupid questions. Trust me; I have done every “bone head” blunder you can imagine.

Rob

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Thanks for the welcome!

As I research costs etc, I'll decide on what type of resto to do - "rolling" or rotisserie.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going concours - unless someone here talks me into it based on the potential value etc...

The car started life as a 302 4v, sunlit gold, nugget interior.

Here's a question - How many J codes were built?

aemoo28

Can't go wrong with black! The inside is red? Going with a red exterior stripe? You can do red, white, or gold (ask midnightspecial for a photo).

Which state are you in? If you're near the NW we're planning another CS get together soon.

And where did the car come from? Post your Marti- there is a sticky thread where we share/compare them.

And I agree- you drove it 4 hours, so it must be passing inspection mechanically. I only got 30 mins into the drive with mine before the clanking and smoke began.

Clubpro is your source for parts. This forum is your source for experts in bringing any Special back to life. Trust me, this forum is magic. You need proof? Read my posts. My car came back from the dead.

And true- there are no stupid questions. These guys may get a laugh or two in, but in the end they will steer you in the right direction.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Here's the marti report - too small - I'll have to scan it and reload!

IMG_0815.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 54

franklinair

Nicely optioned: P/S, P/B, A/C, Tinted glass, 302, A/T. The J code is the most desirable (IMHO) except for the big blocks. You dun good!!
Lots of info & help here. Where are you located? If you're near enough to some members, we can sometimes entice someone to give hands-on assistance. We're scattered all over the country.
Welcome.

Neil

CougarCJ

I'm a J code too.

Extrapolating numbers from other Marti reports, the GT/CS J codes break down like this:

962 total J code 302-4V GT/CS.

658 with C4 automatic transmissions.
218 with 4 speed manual transmissions.
86 with 3 speed manual transmissions.

Yes, please scan your Marti report, I can only make out a small amount of it.

hookedtrout

Looks like a nice start and you have some great neighbors to offer help when you need the physical kind. Wish I had some CS neighbors close enough to hang out in my garage.

Cory

robert campbell

Bassman,
I am in Bremerton. Amy in Seattle! My car was supposed to be Anniversary Gold. Black interior, J code, auto PB, PS, Convenience Group, Rear window defroster (fan). Amy is trying to get a group of us together in Seattle in September. You be welcome to join!!

Don’t talk to me about concurs!! I will have you hacking and cutting in no time.

Rob

gofastguy

I'm impressed with the 4 hour drive home! Must be a pretty solid car mechanically...I don't think mine made it to the 4 hour mark before deciding to bend pushrods.

Timmknz

Cool

I'm in Redmond, OR and will pass right thru Vancouver on my way up- If I can make it up for the get together in Seattle I'd be happy to drive up with you if you wanted to bring your special along for the trip. Just don't let Amy anywhere near it and you'll be fine!
ha! :icon_evil
Tim

robert campbell

If you are at lunch time, stop at the Steakburger in Hazel Dell!! My family has been hitting this burger joint since the 1940's!! Yes, my Dad and Mom in the early years, me in the 1960's. The current owners say they bought it from the original guy in 1962 I think. It has been there much longer!! I made Tim go there!!

I bet Bassman has ate there!!

Rob

OP
OP
B

bassman2

It's been a while - but I've been to steak burger! Hell - I think I took dates in high school to play put-put golf there...and cruise the strip :icon_lol:

I probably won't be making any get together with my car. I've already started tearing it apart.

I now have all the carpet and seats out - So far I don't think there are any areas of sufficient enough rust to warrant cutting and welding!!

It actually looks pretty good - the original gold paint looks nice in lots of places.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 52

dpheyes

Bassman,

I'll be down from Alaska & in Portland for a week on business 9/12 - 9/18. I'd love to take a peek at your new machine. PM me if you want.

I also have a J code 4spd. It is on the rotisserie right now and should be off next week. I'll be bringing it from Tucson to Seattle in the back of a truck (the engine is in AK) from 9/26 - 9/30. I'll stop in Vancouver and show you what a fresh rotisserie job looks like. I have to take it to Seattle for shipping by barge to my place in AK. Of course, it will be sealed in a container for the trip!

Doug in AK