• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Taillights

Duker

Hello out there.

I am restoring my tailights (ground problems) and when I removed the tailight assembly I noticed that there is a ground wire attached to the connector but it was not attached to anything.

As you know the valance is fibre glass. Where is this ground wire on both sides supposed to be connected to?:icon_pani

Do I just screw it with the screw that is closest to the connector through the fibreglass into the housing of the tailights? Will this give me a proper ground that I need.

Maybe this is the reason my tailights are dim.

I am sorry if my explanation is confusing I can't really explain it any better.

Duker

robert campbell

Duker,
To my knowledge the ground wire comes from each taillight assembly and is part of the wire harness as it exits the passenger side of the taillight panel into the trunk area. The ground wire feeds along just under the lip of the trunk opening from the passenger side to the center brace that holds the gas cap opening and trunk lock. It drops down the right side (passenger) about 2 to 3 inches and a screw attaches the wire to this brace. If I remember correctly this screw also has the license plate light ground also.

These cars are famous grounding problems to the taillights as they are mounted in fiberglass. I went a step further in my restoration. I installed all new light sockets, but I also soldered a wire directly to the outside of each new sock and ran it in the harness to the same ground. This enhances the ability of each socket to have a good ground. And it can be done without altering the stock harness if you are purist. Once assembled you cannot see it.

Rob

rvrtrash

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Steve

Attachments

• 2009_05200001.JPG
    2009_05200001.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 54

robert campbell

Steve,
No kidding! That ground is suppose to ground the sockets. Pot metal depending on a good contact bertween it and the socket. Now I REALLY remember why I grounded each socket!

Rob

Perkchiro

Duker,
To my knowledge the ground wire comes from each taillight assembly and is part of the wire harness as it exits the passenger side of the taillight panel into the trunk area. The ground wire feeds along just under the lip of the trunk opening from the passenger side to the center brace that holds the gas cap opening and trunk lock. It drops down the right side (passenger) about 2 to 3 inches and a screw attaches the wire to this brace. If I remember correctly this screw also has the license plate light ground also.

These cars are famous grounding problems to the taillights as they are mounted in fiberglass. I went a step further in my restoration. I installed all new light sockets, but I also soldered a wire directly to the outside of each new sock and ran it in the harness to the same ground. This enhances the ability of each socket to have a good ground. And it can be done without altering the stock harness if you are purist. Once assembled you cannot see it.

Rob
Rob, I did the exact same thing. Good ground to each socket and I have evenly lit taillights that are bright.

OP
OP
D

Duker

:smile:Thank you all.

The picture was great and I have a little more work grounding each socket

Thankyou

Duker