• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Speedometer Gauge Range Marking

Robbie273

I am in the process of restoring the cluster on my 68 GT/CS. Can someone tell me how to restore the faded caution area on the speedometer gauge? The area I am talking about is from the 70-120 MPH range? I have seen fluorescent tape in half circles before but I am not sure where I can get it.

Rob

franklinair

I bought a roll of flourescent red tape (about 1/8" wide) @ an auto supply store many years ago that worked perfectly. I carefully applied it over the faded band, following the curve. See if it's still available. If not, I'll check my stash and see if I still have some. I also got the red color paint to do the pointers. It's a small bottle of model airplane paint. I just slid a piece of paper under the pointers and applied fresh paint to them with a fine brush. It really improves the appearance of the instruments.

Neil

nfrntau

I used flourescent orange paint purchased at thte local hobby shop. I left the range your talking about alone cuz I didn't want to mess it up. Tape is a good idea.
Be very gentle painting the needles, you don't want to bend or distort them.
It's a good project because it really makes a big difference and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Good luck,