• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 dash pad reproduction

retroman99

well i have just finished the deconstruction of the beast nothing left but sheet metal and the dash pad. i was thinking it was in good shape until i started looking close and lightly pressed a spot that looked sun damaged and it cracked very brittle. so looks like i will need to remove and replace. anybody have a recomendation on who sells the better fit and quality replacements. Scott Drake? NPD? CJ Pony others

dalorzo_f

Find a good used one and clean and re-dye. I traded a new crap-ola Dashes Direct (fits Ok, but the texture, look and feel are way off, a nice option for those that just want someting that fits) for a OEM and spent a day cleaning and dying... and could not be happier.... looks new.

Ruppstang

Find a good used one and clean and re-dye. I traded a new crap-ola Dashes Direct (fits Ok, but the texture, look and feel are way off, a nice option for those that just want someting that fits) for a OEM and spent a day cleaning and dying... and could not be happier.... looks new.

+ 1 Marty

OP
OP
R

retroman99

+ 1 Marty

what strikes me as funny is this car has spent the last 20 years in a garage and prior to that it was in oregon where the sun doesnt shine but 6 months out of the year if your lucky. so this dash pad has had a pretty easy life. i will keep looking for a good used one as you suggest. iv have sometime before i start putting the beast back together need to find a good body and paint guy in So cal.

Ruppstang

Every reproduction I have seen I would deduct -1 for texture. The problems you have may be that yours was cleaned regularly wit Armorall. It makes the vinyl hard.
I would search in the northern rust belt states, they part a lot of cars that did not see a lot of sun. What color are you looking for?

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Every reproduction I have seen I would deduct -1 for texture. The problems you have may be that yours was cleaned regularly wit Armorall. It makes the vinyl hard.
I would search in the northern rust belt states, they part a lot of cars that did not see a lot of sun. What color are you looking for?

looking for the dark blue color

BroadwayBlue

I have a repro dash pad in my CS. I agree the texture is different.
It doesn't look too bad in my opinion but an original would be nice.
My original was cracked pretty bad so I replaced it with a repro.

dalorzo_f

You can buy pretty much any color and vinyl dye it. Light to dark is easiest, but you can go the other way too...

I'd just look for a nice condition one and take it.

NPD sells the dye I used to go blue to black and it looks pretty much idenitical to the OEM black in my convertible. I'm sure many others sell high quality and correct color dye. Pretty easy to apply, clean well, and do a few light coats.