• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deck lid seal

Ruppstang

Has anyone had problems getting you deck lid to line up with the end caps?
I have been fighting this problem for months now. I started with a Scott Drake seal and it was so bad that I thought it might break the fiberglass if I forced it closed. I then got a D. Carpenter seal and it was much better but could not ever get perfect alinement with the caps. Last week I took the car to RA Motor Sports in Lee's Summit MO. I was suprised when owner Jeff Yergovich told me that the Shelbys and GT-CS cars did not use a Mustang coupe-convertible seal. They use a seal that looks more like a fastback seal but longer.
Jeff has been working on Mustangs and Shelby for 35 years and is a wealth of information. You may have seen the 67 red Shelby convertible - 68 prototype on the cover of Mustang monthly this month. That is some of Jeff's work and I got too see it up close when I was there. Wow it is even more amazing in person.
If any one has a unrestored GT-CS or HCS I would love to see some pictures of your seal. Marty

dalorzo_f

Think the deck lid never really lined up with the caps. Mine, and pretty much every one I've seen, sit about 1/8-1/4" higher than the caps.

Branda sells a 68-70 Shelby convertible trunk lid seal. Which is different to the standard Mustang one on thier site, would think it is the same as the GT/CS, but no photos or notation of the difference.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

That was my understanding that it was the same as the Shelby convertible. I was reading in the last GT-CS recognition guide on page 108 that it was the same seal as the Shelby and the standard coupe. On page 109 it lists part #s C5ZZ-6443720-C and CCMB-6443720-C. That is why I would like to see a original seal and figure out what is correct. I am going to get things lined up one way or another.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

But then it won't be factory correct!:wink:

When judging a lot of owners make the excuse "Oh that is the it came from the factory". I ask have you owned it from new? Most say no. They either had it restored or did it them selves and body parts do not aline. I will except the excuse if it is unrestored or they have docomentation of the defect from new . I do realize that some stuff got out of Ford's door that way but it was what was wanted or designed. In concourse judging we judge on authentisity, quality of workmanship and cleanliness. I do get your point many cars also over restored. Marty

franklinair

Curious: How well does the decklid fit without the seal installed??

Neil

rvrtrash

I think every CS I've seen has had misalignment between the deck lid and the end caps, except mine. Mine was hit in the rear and when I repaired the fiberglass, I made everything line up. I even reshaped the end caps so they'd line up with the quarter panels. That was back when I was young and dumb and didn't know any better.

Steve

TraveledGTCS

I have had my 1968 GT/CS since I bought it new from Haywood Ford, Haywood, CA, and it was off. Also in Pauls 1996 Registry book page 97 it states "A slight misalignment of the end caps is normal. When the trunk lid is closed, there is usually a slight mismatch with the top of the end spoiler and caps." I had to make a copy of the page when I had it judged several times because they wanted to deduct points until I pointed it out. From then on I have a copy of that page and a couple others for some judges who don't know some of the oddities of our Specials.

Bill

Just a side note, I also hope to be at Concord in June. Currently my Special is still in the paint shop. The painter recently left the hospital due to a heart attack which happened as he was painting it. It was supposed to be completed the end of April, but......

B.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Curious: How well does the decklid fit without the seal installed??

Neil

It fits perfectly, the problem is there are nice even spacing every where but on the botten corners, where when closed there is only 1/16th between the fiberglass and the metal trunk rim.