• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Grille question

Armond

I am in the process of restoring the grille to the C/S. It had been painted over the original color at one time. What I found was the two fog lite brackets were painted off the grille and then assembled onto the grille. The back side of the grille and brackets both appear to have been painted black and the the gray metallic color appears to be then painted and the over spray going onto the grille backside. Or should the back side be painted completely gray metallic also? It does not appear this way from what I have found. I just want it correct and any input would be appreciated. I will be reassembling the grille with correct Tube rivets. Thanks!

Ruppstang

Armond I think this is the kind of thing that was just is how it happend that day in the plant. Mine was compleatly covered. If I were you I would restore it the way it was since John has owned the car since new and it has not been messed with.
See you soon Marty

franklinair

When you do paint the front of the grille, I've found that by painting a lighter color first (as a primer) then the dark gray, it comes out as a truer 'charcoal' color. If you spray the dark gray over black, it seems too dark.

Neil

OP
OP
Armond

Armond

Thank you for the advice! It also appears on this grille that the two tabs attached to the grill that attach to the hood stop location were black? I didn't find the gray under the paint John had sprayed over the grille. Just some black. Does that seem to jive from what is the norm or should it be the gray also. Thanks!!!!

somethingspecial

The Grille is painted dark grey, the fog light brackets were painted off the grille and attached to the grille with "in the white" rivots. The mounting tabs were also painted off the grille "S.G. Black" and should have shiny rivots as well. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Armond

Armond

That is just what I thought from my examining the grille. Thank you for the confirmation.

Ruppstang

Mike that is no suprise as that is how all the other grills were assembled. You saying that the fog light bracket was painted seperately but dark grey or SG black? All others used SG black on brackets and supports. Marty

somethingspecial

Mike that is no suprise as that is how all the other grills were assembled. You saying that the fog light bracket was painted seperately but dark grey or SG black? All others used SG black on brackets and supports. Marty

Marty, All items were painted seperately. Grille and Fog Light Brackets were painted Dark Grey,( I found SEM Bumper Coater Dark Titanium Metallic #39263 is the best match) and the two small mounting tabs are painted SG Black. Rivots were left "In the White", or unpainted shiny aluminum.