• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale s code 4 speed GT/CS

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Let's keep this thread on track.

I know a lot of you have things to say about Paul, Good, Bad and the Ugly, but this thread is about the car. I respectfully ask we keep this thread about the car only. I described the car as best I could and have hidden nothing. Thank you. Mike

RedGTvert

No withstanding any differences with Paul, I just don't get the selling price.

Sure, it may have sparked a book, but the car no longer has it's original configured drive train. Admittedly the body is not 100% clean.

I could be proven wrong, and won't be the first time, but with the market today, the fact that it does not have anything left of the original drive train, just don't get the price. GT/CS with original small block gear aren't selling for even $20K right now.

A large premium for a car that is no longer a 390 car just because it sparked a book does not make any sense to me.

donsonn

Tough time to be selling such a car (with the economy and all). I hope Paul gets what he is asking for it, it is a rare car. I have never seen it in person, but I can't help but say it is a little rougher than I had imagined from seeing pictures of it. It would be nice to have the "numbers matching" original drivetrain with it though. Good luck, Paul!!!

Mosesatm

Mike, are you selling the car for Paul or do you now own it?

6t8-390gt

I just don't get the selling price.

Sure, it may have sparked a book, but the car no longer has it's original configured drive train. Admittedly the body is not 100% clean.

I could be proven wrong, and won't be the first time, but with the market today, the fact that it does not have anything left of the original drive train, just don't get the price. GT/CS with original small block gear aren't selling for even $20K right now.

A large premium for a car that is no longer a 390 car just because it sparked a book does not make any sense to me.

I would have to agree; the car is rare, but if someone was to pay the asking price and then return it to its original configuration they would be $50k into the car. A fully restored 68.5 CJ coupe only bid to $44K recently and a CJ coupe is more rare. I hope he gets it; but I have my doubts.

Mosesatm

Mike, the ad summary shows the mileage as 23+K. Is that number clarified somewhere in the ad?

rvrtrash

Mike, it looks like Paul added the convenience group. Did he install the correct harness and is it all functional? Just curious because it seems like that would be a pretty involved undertaking, but kind of cool if done right.

Steve

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Steve, no, the convenience group is not hooked up. it is just set in the dash. Jason, the milage is unknown, could be 223K, could be 423K. ?????. I have been under this car and found no signs of stress, cracks or rust. The frame rails are undamaged, the welds appear to be intact and when I jacked it up, it did not flex like a worn out car. I drove this car and it handled great and tracked straight. Mike

sam

I hope Paul is selling his beloved car because he wants to vs. has to. Don't know the exact history of the vehicle, but it's been part of his life a very long time. Happy New Year .
Sam

Mosesatm

Steve, no, the convenience group is not hooked up. it is just set in the dash. Jason, the milage is unknown, could be 223K, could be 423K. ?????. I have been under this car and found no signs of stress, cracks or rust. The frame rails are undamaged, the welds appear to be intact and when I jacked it up, it did not flex like a worn out car. I drove this car and it handled great and tracked straight. Mike

If I remember correctly Paul recently stated that the car has over 400K miles.

Mosesatm

Arlie, I will confirm with Paul and let you know. Mike

Here is Paul's quote from another site.

PMN@SAAC said:
I own a 390 4-speed GT/CS; one of 111 made. It's the cover car on my 1989 book, which if you can find one on EBAY they go for about $250. my GT/CS has 450,000 miles on it, with the original maroon paint.

I'm just worried that people reading the ad may not understand how many miles are on the car. Even though the car is solid some people are interested in total miles. But, if worded correctly the number of miles may be a selling point.

Last edited:

gofastguy

Everyone here would probably love to see this car bring what he is looking for, as it would be a very positive indication of the value of our own cars. I know that I paid just over the starting bid for a "done" car that is a very nice driver fairly recently.

So, the big question here is whether the history has enough intangible value to equal the cost of restoration plus 5-10K. I was a bit surprised how far the car had strayed from originality, but this is probably not too unusual with classics which remain daily drivers.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Arlie, Thanks for the post. I will confirm with Paul and add it to the listing if it is. Mike

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Everyone here would probably love to see this car bring what he is looking for, as it would be a very positive indication of the value of our own cars. I know that I paid just over the starting bid for a "done" car that is a very nice driver fairly recently.

So, the big question here is whether the history has enough intangible value to equal the cost of restoration plus 5-10K. I was a bit surprised how far the car had strayed from originality, but this is probably not too unusual with classics which remain daily drivers.

Some people don't care about famous history v. actual history, some do. Some people have a "Must have" attitude due to famous history, and others just want an S code/4 speed GT/CS regardless of the fame. When I restored my car I had to find most of the small parts, ie. smog, headrests, distributer, radiator, intake and exhaust maniforlds, etc. to make mine complete and historicaly correct. $$$$$$. This one, although missing the original running gear comes with a rebuildable engine, correct manifolds, smog, the correct third member, air cleaner.... All high dollar items to say the least. In my opinion, this car has most of the parts to make it correct already. The big block power steering equipment is still in tact and routed the way it should be. The clutch pedal comes with the car as well and all the clutch hardware is there. The body may seem rough to some, but in my opinion, as well as my bodymans, the body is in great shape needing only moderate repair. No panels need replacing with the exception of one head light bucket. The engine compartment sheet metal is straight and not wrinkled. Keep in mind the car has lived most of it's life with a small block, so it didn't undergo the stresses of an FE motor.

The market is what it is and hopefully someone will decide they need this car. Mike