• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT Coupe and 68 GT/CS Diecast Model

68gt390

A local diecast model company has contacted me about using my 68 GT Coupe and 68 GT/CS for reference in making a diecast model of both cars. I myself have been looking for sometime trying to find a Coupe version of the 68 Coupe with no success. Other companies I have contacted say their is no interest in the coupes. I know I'm interested. Was just wondering how the rest of the folks on this site feel.

Don ;D

quicknick

That's awesome Don. Are they going to pay you a little somthin' somethin' for using your cars?

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

[quote author=quicknick link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=0#msg7564 date=1105489401]
That's awesome Don. Are they going to pay you a little somthin' somethin' for using your cars?
[/quote]

At present we are in the beginning stages. A company rep contacted me yesterday by email and I talked to their primary designer today. Still have some details to work out yet. Sent them pictures of the CS tonight. Originally they only knew about the GT Coupe. When I mentioned I also had a GT/CS he said that was even better yet. They want to set up a photo shoot for both cars but, with the current weather here in Ohio (flooding everywhere) hard to tell when we will get a decent day to do that. Besides, that will give me time to put the original air cleaner bucket and other items back on the CS before the shoot. They want both cars as close to original as possible (particularly the engine bay areas). Heck at this point I'd be happy just to get a model of each car knowing their plans came from my cars.

Don

P

PNewitt

Congrats, Don!

I've always wondered why, at least they never made any '67-'68 Coupes in 1/18th. Look at all the other "obscure" stuff out there at Toys R Us, like '63 Bel Air's, Hurst Olds, and the ton of Nascar cars that seem to change weekly.

Perhaps you could tell the model car company that if they were to do the tooling for the '67-'68 Coupe, it could include the GT/CS, HCS, Little Red and the Green Hornet. By just changing the rear ends, and noses, you could have all of these. They could also make the '68 Cobra Jet 428 coupe with the hood scoop and hood stripe--AND!! the '68 Shelby convertible (as well as the '67-'68 convertible, all with the same basic tooling)

PLEASE tell the designers to be aware of the "compound curves" on the rear spoiler. It is NOT flat at the rear--it curves across the tail. Have them measure it with calipers to get it right. They might go with Lucas or Marchal lights, too. Show them my book?

If you or they need anything from me, just send them my e-mail address (not to steal your thunder).

I had a friend who's DeLorean was copied in scale, and they included the aftermarket radio in his car--replicated in scale!!

Paul Newitt

p.s. I'm about to pick up three of the '63 Chrysler Turbine Cars in 1/18th, just out!...and yes, they are "obscure", too.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Paul;
I'm glad you responded. Your information is welcomed and will be most helpful. Gives me even more to wet their whistle with. I myself think there is a big untapped market out there for the coupe's. Everything else up to date has always been the fastback cars. Maybe it's time the coupe's got a little recognition. Being able to use your book will help. I'll keep you informed as we progress through the different stages.
It's kinda funny, myself and my girlfriend were rather supprised to receive their email. We were just talking the other night about why there were no diecast models of the coupe's. Thanks again Paul for your input.

Don ;D

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Don,

Congrats! That sounds like a great opportunity. Keep us updated on how it goes.

If you think about it mention to them that I'd be happy to sell them through this site. I don't think they'll find a more targetted market than our members here.

hookedtrout

I would also be very interested in having a GT/CS diecast or 4 or 5.

I collect the diecast Muscle Machines and my favorite is the 66 Mustang, blue with white stripes of course. Be awesome to have a GT/CS however.

Might help push the deal through if they knew they could post up a sales pitch here in our classifieds once the product was available.

Hook

rvrtrash

I'd be interested but what scale are they going to be in and will there be multiple color choices? I tend to just buy ones that match the colors of my cars, and prefer the 1:18 scale.

Steve

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Talked to their designer again today. Scale is to be 1/18th. As for colors they aren't sure yet if they will be multiple or just one color offered for each model. Will post more when information is known. They have set up this Friday 1/14/05 to do the photo shoot. Will try and get more info then if possible.

Don

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

I can't beleive this poll has been read 253 times and there's only 20 people that have voted. :( I'm disappointed. Talked to the designer again today and found out the GT/CS model will be "Royal Maroon". As for the GT model they are still not sure what color it will be. You can be sure of one thing though, regardless of how many people vote, it won't kill my interest in this project.

Don ;D

hookedtrout

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=0#msg7592 date=1105657245]
I would be interested in one, if not two. Would love to see a blue one with a white stripe!!!

Paul
[/quote]

I like this Paul guy! ;D Blue with white stipes has to be the best.

Hook

hookedtrout

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=0#msg7595 date=1105674434]
I can't beleive this poll has been read 253 times and there's only 20 people that have voted. :( I'm disappointed. Talked to the designer again today and found out the GT/CS model will be "Royal Maroon". As for the GT model they are still not sure what color it will be. You can be sure of one thing though, regardless of how many people vote, it won't kill my interest in this project.

Don ;D

[/quote]

I've read this post a couple dozen or more times myself. I read each time a new post is added. My guess is the counter is keeping track of every time someone logs into it. I don't think it means that many different people have logged into it.

Hook

PFSlim

Sorry. I didn't vote. Just added my comments to the thread. Will vote if needed.

(me and you hook!! - Blue with white stripes)

Paul

Ausi_CS

:D I know of quite a few people who would be interested in a model GT/CS here in Australia. Personally, I wouldn't care what colour it is. Like many of you, I have searched for a suitable 67 or 68 coupe that could be modded but absolutely nothing appears to available. Let alone over here, as we usually only get some of the more mass produced items. As a member of the local branch of the MOC Australia, I feel sure that if word got around the various clubs, then I think there would be significant interest, and not just GT/CS owners (at this stage I am the only one on our club, but I believe there are about 6-7 GT/CS's in Aus.)

Please, Keep me posted.

P.S. One vote for the affirmative, here!

nfrntau

My vote is for a blue one too. Royal Maroon is OK.... I guess. lol
I think it's a great way to increase the public awareness of our cars.
I would be very interested to know what extent they measure your car. Pauls story of them reproducing an aftermarket radio in scale is a crack up.
Don't be disheartened by the number of persons who have voted. I am certain that there are many observers who not being members haven't voted but have read your post also.
Bill

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Photo's were taken today of both cars. They spent a little over 2 hours taking photo's. As for measurements none were taken. The photo's are used basicly to get the details of the markings on each car. They took individual photo's of the entire dash, steering wheel, seats, console, rear deck and spoiler along with the
exterior and engine bay. The production department will break it down to scale once the photo's are blown up to a larger size. They spent a lot of time taking photo's of both the front and rear of the car. They mentioned they plan on making a chrome script that will actually be attached to the CS rather than using paint as has been done on other models. As for time frame they were not sure at this point but, they did say they wanted to push the production forward as soon as possible. They have asked that I not post the name of the company at this time. Once everything is completed and production is finalized they will then give me the ok to post the site address here. They will be sending me a photo of the pre-production model to review at which time I also plan on sending it to Paul for his review. I will keep all appraised of the status as the production moves forward.

Don

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1315;start=15#msg7605 date=1105782700]
Sounds pretty awesome to me, at least so far. As for color, I can paint. ;D

Hook
[/quote]

Hook;
So far it's been a pretty exciting process from my vantage point. I know there will be more to come as this process unfolds. I'm looking forward to the final product and an actual model of the coupe becoming a reality. Of course as you can figure I'm happy to see the CS in "Royal Maroon". It will be a nice addition to display it with my car. Not in my wildest dream could I of ever imagined when I bought the CS or even the GT for that matter would I be doing what I'm doing today with these cars. It's a whole new experience.

Don ;D