• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Where to put it - the registry decal

case12

OK - I thought I would have some fun and ask others where they put their registry decal. I put mine in the back window lower corner passenger side, but because it is a transparent decal it is hard to see, so I am contemplating moving it somewhere else - but where?

I already have a SAAC sticker and MCA sticker on each of my vent (wing) windows. I sorta dont want the car to start looking like my 72 Dodge Charger in 1976 - It had every racing sticker known to man on the windows ,fenders, and trunk.:embarass:

So, where is the tasteful and best place to put the registry decal?:smile:

Casey

Last edited:

nfrntau

I have not received mine yet (ordered late) but was thinking of putting on the left quarter window under the tint.

P

PNewitt

"Where to Stick it?" LOL!! Boy is that an open-ended question!!

I would suggest either the lower pass. side corner of the windshield, or on the driver's side (roll down) quarter window. I would avoid putting it on the pass. side qtr. window, because while you're driving, it can mess with your peripheral vision, and you'll think a car is on your right side blind spot.

For cars with dark windows, like the late models...I would use the windshield, since it's the least tinted.

This time, the decals came out like little stained glass images, so you'll need some light to go through them.

Paul N.

our special

"Where to Stick it?" LOL!! Boy is that an open-ended question!!

I would suggest either the lower pass. side corner of the windshield, or on the driver's side (roll down) quarter window. I would avoid putting it on the pass. side qtr. window, because while you're driving, it can mess with your peripheral vision, and you'll think a car is on your right side blind spot.

For cars with dark windows, like the late models...I would use the windshield, since it's the least tinted.

This time, the decals came out like little stained glass images, so you'll need some light to go through them.

Paul N.

Hi all!!

I placed mine on the lower passenger side of windshield, but it was very difficult to see against the dark dash. I peeled the decal off with a razor blade and while it was still attached to the blade, I painted the back of the decal silver and reinstalled it on the windshield. It is much more visable now then it was.

I have another decal that I'm going to experiment with before I install it.

Dave

franklinair

I noticed the same lack of appearance on the lower rite corner of the windshield.
Dave- what type paint did you use to brighten your decal? Compatible with the decal material?

Neil

our special

I noticed the same lack of appearance on the lower rite corner of the windshield.
Dave- what type paint did you use to brighten your decal? Compatible with the decal material?

Neil

Neil, I've used different paints over the years without affecting the decal.

The paint that I used on this one was plasti-kote 282 aluminum, aka Rebuilders cast finish. I just happened to have this one close by. It is not a real good job as you can see by the border, but I wanted to make sure it was going to work before I do another.

I just took a couple of pictures which I will email to you because I'm not sure how to post.

These may come full size, so I hope you can accommodate them. lol

Dave

hcsstang

I'm going to put mine on a piece of six by six plate glass and round the corners. You can put it on the dash or the rear window.

P

PNewitt

I guess one could get some 3M silver self-adhesive reflective material, and cut a piece about 3-1/2" square., then press it onto the (reversed) face of the decal, then look at the back of the paper side, to determine where to cut the 3" diameter ring around the edge of the decal. Cutting that edge will also cut the silver material at the same time.

But--before you apply the (opaque) silver material, draw the 3" diamater ring on the paper side first (by looking through it with a light, to see where the edge of the decal image is).

When you cut it all out, what you'll have is a decal you can put on the inside of your glass, and it will be reflective, showing all the color through the reflective parts.

Remember to burnish the decal to the silver material--and on the glass--with the backside of your fingernail, or something like a plastic credit card, etc...to get the bubbles out.

Paul N.

our special

I guess one could get some 3M silver self-adhesive reflective material, and cut a piece about 3-1/2" square., then press it onto the (reversed) face of the decal, then look at the back of the paper side, to determine where to cut the 3" diameter ring around the edge of the decal. Cutting that edge will also cut the silver material at the same time.

But--before you apply the (opaque) silver material, draw the 3" diamater ring on the paper side first (by looking through it with a light, to see where the edge of the decal image is).

When you cut it all out, what you'll have is a decal you can put on the inside of your glass, and it will be reflective, showing all the color through the reflective parts.

Remember to burnish the decal to the silver material--and on the glass--with the backside of your fingernail, or something like a plastic credit card, etc...to get the bubbles out.

Paul N.

The reflective material would be a good idea as well Paul, I didn't think of that. I've painted one, so now I'll try your idea and see how that works out.

Dave

P

PNewitt

Just as a notice...

I'm having to make more decals, so there might be a small delay in getting them out to you....maybe a week at the most.

I mailed out quite a few lately, and so, if you don't get yours now, you will very soon.

and!! When you order the decals, please tell me which one(s) you 'd like....1968, or HCS, or 2007??? I have a few orders with no preference, and I don't know what to send out....

Thanks!

Paul.

nates68

cx-1 decal

Paul, Any Thing New On The Cx-1 Decal? Hope Your Still Going To Make It.

Thanks, Nates68

franklinair

What is/where do you get the 3M silver self adhesive tape you mention?

Neil

P

PNewitt

What is/where do you get the 3M silver self adhesive tape you mention?

Neil

Vinyl Sign places might cut you a piece, or you could try a local hardware store. They might have squares in white reflective material for safety purposes.

I'd suggest using roll reflective tape, but it isn't wide enough.

If you or someone else finds something that works, let us know.

Thanks,
Paul.
p.s. Neil....do you miss Galpin Ford & L.A. yet?

P

PNewitt

Paul, Any Thing New On The Cx-1 Decal? Hope Your Still Going To Make It.

Thanks, Nates68

Hi Nate,

Do YOU miss Galpin & L.A. too??? LOL...

I thought about it, and I think what I'll do is modify the same round decal to include the CX-1 name. Maybe change some colors, too. I might require folks to tell me what their mods are to "qualify" for the CX-1 designation.

I'm almost there...but the book comes first (I've been buried in very tedious work right now. Getting photos, talking to Paxton, magazine editors, museums, interviews etc..for those loose ends of photos and info.. about 35 people total). But I'm on schedule. Burning lots of midnight oil).

Paul.

P

PNewitt

Decal Update

I've had to re-order more decals, for both the 1968's and 2007 models.

This means that if you ordered decals recently, new ones won't be available to mail out until May 23rd.

Sorry for the delay...I didn't expect these to be so popular!

Thanks,

Paul.

OP
OP
case12

case12

I took advice from this thread and did the reflective tape idea. It works and looks great. Thanks for the idea. See pics. Casey

Attachments

• 05-24-08_1041.jpg
    05-24-08_1041.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 05-24-08_1042.jpg
    05-24-08_1042.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 41