• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Question about 1968 J-Code Mustangs

SeaninSD

I was wondering if anyone knew how many 1968 J-Code, 302-4V, California Special mustangs were produced? Thanks, Sean.

gtcs1

I was wondering if anyone knew how many 1968 J-Code, 302-4V, California Special mustangs were produced? Thanks, Sean.

Hi,

J Codes; Production of 304 which were Manual (82 gtcs and 4 hcs 3-spd and 200 gtcs and 18 hcs 4-spd) and 658 ( 637 gtcs and 21 hcs) which were auto, for a total of 962, accounting for 23.4% of all the GT/CS and HCS

Last edited:

Mosesatm

There were 337 white cars but to find out how many white J-codes were built you'll need to contact Marti.

If you want to get a rough number we could do a little math and kinda sorta figure it out.
Since 8% of the cars were white if we assume 8% of the J-codes were also white we get 8% of 962 or roughly 79 cars.

OP
OP
S

SeaninSD

Thanks for the help guys. I was wondering because I recently found a 68' GT/CS J-Code for sale in Corona, California. I called the guy a couple times and he seems kind of sketchy like he stole the car or something. I'm a new member so it wont allow me to post a link but to find it just go to San Diego craigslist and put in mustang under cars for sale by owner and the title is 1968 Mustang Gt. California Special. If anyone could contact the owner to find more about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sean.

dalorzo_f

Statistics courtesy Kevin Marti... if you want to know exactly how many, of any option mix, they will do a statistical report for you...

franklinair

Couldn't tell too much from the photos, but: looks like earlier mfr based on rear flush reflectors, only option I could detect was PS. Hood must have been replaced- no twist locks.

Neil

Mosesatm

And if those are Marchal fog lights they are installed incorrectly.
Look for front end damage.

If it really is a 1-owner car and he's that owner he'll be able to explain what happend to the hood and the fog lights, and why the tail light bezels are incorrect (they shouldn't be painted black).

That said, if it is a J-code and a true GT it's worth more than a normal GT/CS. A Marti report is definitely required.

OP
OP
S

SeaninSD

Thanks for the help everyone but I'm not sure if I even want to deal with this guy anymore. He definitely doesn't seem legit as he doesn't even remember who or where he got the car from. I doubt he'll know what a VIN code is.

green56

1968 J Code

It looks like the front bumper is bent on Pass side also is there supose to be a tag on front fender side?

Mosesatm

You're right, it's missing both "Mustang" fender scripts.

This could be a case of someone taking photos with a cell phone of a car parked on the street and passing it off as his own.

clubpro

Maybe Mike Jewell could run the license plates 2VQT025 and see who the legal owner is and maybe get the vin number. It is one of the rare white with blue stripe cars so it might be worth the effort. Seems like a really good price for a J code.

Cheers,

Ron

Mosesatm

And one of the debut cars was white with blue stripes, but its rear scripts were placed higher than the ones on this car, not script placement means anything 40 years later.

di81977

You're right, it's missing both "Mustang" fender scripts.

This could be a case of someone taking photos with a cell phone of a car parked on the street and passing it off as his own.

Interior picture through a rolled up window? You might be right.

somethingspecial

Maybe Mike Jewell could run the license plates 2VQT025 and see who the legal owner is and maybe get the vin number. It is one of the rare white with blue stripe cars so it might be worth the effort. Seems like a really good price for a J code.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron, It is ILLEGAL for me to run Vehicle plates, VINs, or Drivers Licence numbers without a Law Enforcement Reason. It is grounds for IMMEDIATE Termination and/or Prosecution. Sorry. Can't do it. Won't do it.

During OJ Simpsons infamous low speed pursuit, the CLETS had over 450 hits on OJ as the pursuit was still going. Several dispatchers lost their jobs over it. California DOJ audits every Dept. every year and can investigate any inquiry as to the reason for the inquiry. See my point. again, Sorry. Now, Back to you regularly scheduled thread.

clubpro

Wow am I embarrassed. Sorry for even mentioning it Mike. Things have definitely changed over the years.

Cheers,

Ron

somethingspecial

Ron, No reason to be embarrassed. Most folks think it is common place. Just trying to make a point. Still friends?

clubpro

Absolutely we're still friends. About 20 years ago my cousin Roy was wondering what had happened to his sisters first car and had an officer buddy of his run the plate number to see if they could find it. It came back showing it was in a wrecking yard. End of search. I didn't realized how strict they have gotten on this. Thanks for the education. By the way I drive by the exit to your place every week and think about those great parties that we had. Looking forward to Concord!

Cheers,

Ron