• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ammeter -> Volt Meter conversion + a "?"

p51

Just replaced my (dead) ammeter with a volt meter from Rocketman's classic gauges. I really like it and it's only $40 + shipping when you send back your old core... about the price of a tank of gas (in CA!). It's nice so I thought I'd give it a plug...
M6768CV - Volt Meter for 1967-1968 Ford Mustangs - with Cougar volt scale

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

That plus a Retrogauge mini-tach where the clock goes makes the whole gauge cluster useful without losing the classic look.

Also, I do have one question about removing the gauge cluster. There are two connectors on the left hand side that are always a real bear to disconnect/connect. For future reference, does anyone have any clever techniques for handling those connectors? Also, it seems that when I do get them connected, although they are tight, the connectors don't seem to completely "snap" together. Anyone else have a similar experience?

dalorzo_f

I work on the two connectors you note thru the heater control opening. Not easy to get to no matter what. Don't remember how well they clip together but don't recall any issues...

Ruppstang

I connect them before I push the panel into it's place. The are suppose to be locks on each side of the connector but they are often broken.
Marty

OP
OP
p51

p51

Thanks for the info. Had not thought of opening up the heater control to get one hand through on the side and the other through the front between the cluster and dash (before pushing the cluster back into place). Whenever I reconnect the connectors they are tight and seem to make a good connection but they always *look* like they're not completely pushed together...