• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 lucas lights

gt/csj4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14079314687...spagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1204

ok guys here is a link to some lucas lights i bought today since my car was missing them. from the research i have done, they have the correct markings on the lenses, and on the housings, however the brackets are really throwing me off. I know they are mounted on pedestals, these appear to have some sort of brackets attached to them. My question is, all late cal specials utilized "super 8 lucas spot lights" and these are indeed "super 8's" so that being said, if i were to take these brackets off, would the pedestals still work on the bottom mounting bolts? Before i get to much criticism, i know i should have done more research on these before bidding, but i DID ask the seller what EXACTLY they came off of to which i received a reply of "i'm not sure your guess is as good as mine" so i took a chance and bought them. Flame suit is on so fire away :wink:

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

ok so here is the skinny. I have been doing a lot of research after posting this and have found that all mid to late 60's jags, bentleys, and rolls, came with the super 8 lucas fogs.... that ALSO includes later 68 shelby's and/or california specials. the housing and the glass bulbs are all model specific (early shelby's got one clear lens and one lens with lines in it, and later "later" shelby's got lines in both bulbs. SO basically i have a great set of fogs that really are universal for jag's, rolls' shelby, cal, etc, the DIFFERENCE is the mounting brackets, which are model specific, so all i will have to do is change out the "L Bracket" which is shown on the said picture, and replace it with the correct "pedestal" bracket. I have contacted Bob Teets and am going to get the correct mounting hardware for them as well as templates (even tho none of them are correct from the "factory") The bolts that mount to the pedestals are male to female with locking nut as well. I contacted the seller and from the pics he sent via text it appears that the connectors are mustang specific (male/female pigtail) so guess we will have to see once i recieve them sometime this week. I see that 11 viewed this, so thanks in advance for the views guys! :smile:

dalorzo_f

"Foreign Glass" is the dead giveaway they aren't correct 68's... OEM had ENGLAND at the lower edge of the glass...

This is a sketch of the ones on my car, not sure if they are original or not, but they do have the England stamp. There are a lot of variations of the "Square 8"'s out there...

lucas_lights.jpg

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

interesting. From what i read last night (which appears to be conflicting lol) it said they DID have foreign glass imprinted on them. Nonetheless i know at least the housing is correct and i know that i can get the correct bulbs for them, and mounting pedestals for them to bold to the j moldings... so it boils down to 140 dollar mistake :tongue:

Mosesatm

You have a European set of lights, meaning one light is a fog light and the other is a driving light.

They are also a later set (probably late '70s) because they have the large gray grommets, originals have small black O-rings, and to be 100% correct they should say "England" instead of "Foreign Glass".

That said, very few people know the difference so my unsolicited advice is to find another fog light lens, replace the driving lens with it, and go onto the next project.

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

Great info guys I appreciate it! I'm calling Bobby tonight to see what he has lying around and see if I can save face and maybe get these new ones sold and but the correct ones. I'm so used to 67 gt specific items as the cals are new territory for me so I'm still learning new things each day

hicountrybob

Great info guys I appreciate it! I'm calling Bobby tonight to see what he has lying around and see if I can save face and maybe get these new ones sold and but the correct ones. I'm so used to 67 gt specific items as the cals are new territory for me so I'm still learning new things each day

Give me a call, Joey and we'll get you fixed up w/ the proper stuff. Bob T. here!!!

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

Will do Bobby. I believe the lights will come in sometime this week so i will stop on by (i know its quite a distance for me to drive :wink:) I have ice cold pepsi's and a handful of nickels and dimes. I have to come prepared!

dalorzo_f

Hey, those housings look really good, I didn't mean to dismiss the parts. Sorry if it came off that way, was just commenting on the correct lens.

Keep the housings, they look great (in spite of the grommet issue) stick 'em on the car, if you want find a matching lens for one or the other and use 'em, unless you are going concours/thoroughbred.

99.999999999999999999% (maybe less, I didn't do the math!)) of the population wouldn't care at all...

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

Went ove to bobs last night and we went thru and found a correct lens to replace the driving lens. So that issue is covered. The next issue is the pedestals or lack thereof which I will purchase a kit from Bob (once I get them in and can verify) I agree, the housings look awesome and look almost new so after the pedestal kit and the eBay win ill be in a nice set of lamps for 200 (still debating on which covers I want to use tho) thanks for everyones help always good info and great responses on here!