• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Help, Just Bought California Special

68tang

I just bought a 68' Cali Special, it has a manual transmission, and I can't tell if it's a 390 or 428 Motor. Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

Midnight Special

68tang said:
I just bought a 68' Cali Special, it has a manual transmission, and I can't tell if it's a 390 or 428 Motor. Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

Wow! Rare bird if it's the real deal! In addition to checking the VIN, would you be willing to tell us all about it? With photos??

Thanks & good luck!

6t8-390gt

The VIN will indicate what the original motor was from the factory. Most all of the parts (block, heads, intake, carb, etc.) have part # or casting # on them. For example C8OE-6090-H. Check your engine and provide some numbers and I'll try to help. Externally, the 390 and 428 look similar.

PFSlim

This will be interesting to hear if this is the real deal. Hopefully they will provide us with more details and pictures.

Paul

Mustanglvr

68tang said:

What did the person that sold it to you say the engine was? Are you sure its a big block? The vin number on the dash or door will tell you what it originally came with new. Post all the numbers you have for it and we can decode it for you. Are you sure its a true California Special? You need a Marti report.

Mosesatm

Where are you located? We might have members near you who can take a look.

390cs68rcode

68tang said:
You guys are awesome! Here is the vin # 8R01S165281

the s means it was a 390 from the factory.

Would you like to share photos and info on the car you bought? It is somewhat rare to see S code CS's trade hands.

OP
OP

68tang

Here is the Trim info: 65A M 2D 10F 53 G 5... Thanks again you guys! How do you put a value range on this CS?

OP
OP

68tang

I'm actually going to sell it, I'm headed over seas and would rather have someone else enjoy it! How do I put up a picture?

Midnight Special

68tang said:
I'm actually going to sell it, I'm headed over seas and would rather have someone else enjoy it! How do I put up a picture?

...After you type your message, scroll down 'til you find the "manage attachments" key. Click on that and a box will appear where you can select photos from your PC desktop. Select, then click the "upload" key in that box when completed... My computer is "Apple" 'Not sure if different w/ PC...

Mustanglvr

I have decoded your data plate information and this is what it means.
65A= 68 Coupe,standard interior
M= Wimbleton White exterior
2D= Red vinyl bucket seats
10F= June 10th build date
53= DSO Kansas City
G= 3.25:1 axle ratio equa lock differential
5= 4 speed manual transmission
And as you know, being an S code means it is a 390 4 barrell and R in the vin means it was produced in San Jose,California.
You won`t know for sure if its a California Special until you hear from Kevin Marti, but just from the numbers, it all sounds good so far.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Midnight Special

Mustanglvr said:
I have decoded your data plate information and this is what it means.
65A= 68 Coupe,standard interior
M= Wimbleton White exterior
2D= Red vinyl bucket seats
10F= June 10th build date
53= DSO Kansas City
G= 3.25:1 axle ratio equa lock differential
5= 4 speed manual transmission
And as you know, being an S code means it is a 390 4 barrell and R in the vin means it was produced in San Jose,California.
You won`t know for sure if its a California Special until you hear from Kevin Marti.........

.......Until then - you have what is affectionately known as the "Rhonda Report" ;-)

Attachments

• wht.jpg
    wht.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 20

Mustanglvr

Midnight Special said:
.......Until then - you have what is affectionately known as the "Rhonda Report" ;-)

Ha! And don`t you forget it! :cool: :wink:

rvrtrash

I would love to have a big block twin to my car and Salt Lake isn't that far. This gives me something to think about at work today.

Steve