• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Dashpad replacement

Jayscal

Has anyone here replaced the dash pad on a 68? I have had the cluster out before and that was not a big deal, I have just always dreaded the dash pad replacement. I remember back in the late 80's, Mustang monthly did a great how to article, but I don't have the issue anymore. This is the last nasty thing to replace on my list, and believe me I have put this job off for 15 years now. The pad is not horrible, but it had shrunk and pulled off the ends, by the doors. there is a slight bow hanging above the cluster. What a better excuse to totally restore the dash area.

Jay

68sunlitgold

Jay,
it is not that difficult. You need to take the metal band up by the window first and then the ones at the corners. I will scan in the assembly manual of all screws and post it.
Doug

darb

Speaking of dash pad replacement, I'm doing it now - and its a NIGHTMARE!

You have to start by dissassembling the ash recepticle, removing it, and way back in there there is a nut holding the backend of your console on. After removing that, the air conditioning controls need to be removed, and back there is another nut holding the pad on.

Basically then you just remove all the exterior screws, pull the console away from the pad until it wont come any further, remove the glove box until and take out the screws from up behind there, and follow along by removing the screws on the trim pieces.

Should pull off pretty easy after that - the actual instructions are:

1. Disconnect the battery ground, and remove the three retaining screws from the ash receptacle assembly, and disconnect the cigar lighter. (I found there is one screw in the top, remove that, then reach in the ash receptacle and push down on that metal piece in the back, to slide it out, there are nuts on either side - remove them)

2. Remove the four screws retaining the heater control assembly to the instrument panel, and position it out of the panel.

3. Thru the heater control opening, remove the nut retaining the lower left end of the pad to the instrument panel.

4. Remove the five retaining screws from the cluster. Thru the ash receptacle remove the nut and washer retaining the console cluster. Position the cluster outside of the instrument panel. (If the pad is warped, you'll need to lift up on the pad and pull the console at the same time)

5. Remove the three retaining screws from the glove box assembly. (Its easiest to lay down across the passenger seat and peak underneath, they are located right by the hinge)

6. Remove the retaining nut from the lower right end of the pad to the instrument panel.

7. Remove the retaining nuts from the lower, upper and center finish panels, and remove them.

8. Remove the seven screws retaining the pad to the mouldings, and remove the mouldings.

9. Remove four pad retaining screws from the forward edge of the pad.

10. Pull the instrument panel pad from the instrument panel.

Hope this helps!

-Brad

68sunlitgold

Jay,
I attached a pic from the assemble manual of the dash with all the attached hardware. I did not think it was difficult to take my dashpad out, but I was also taking everything out of my convertible at the time, so I had already taken the glovebox out, heater controls, etc.
Doug

Attachments

• dasha.jpg
    dasha.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Thanks for the responses. I had read years ago, that the replacement pads don't have the holes punched, and you have to trace the holes from your existing dash pad. There was something about using a hair dryer to heat and relax the new pad to stretch over the ends. I am not worried about the mechanical aspect of removing the old pad, now I just wonder about the fit and quality of the aftermarket replacements. This is what has held me up on this for years, I only hope by now they have good replacement pads.

Brad, have you installed a new pad? Where did you purchase it from?

darb

I got mine from a place in Fontanta, it's a walk in shop - but they do ship out items and I have found them to be over VERY excellent quality. Their dash bezels are much nicer than the ones i've seen in other catalogs and on ebay and such.

I will give you a phone number and an e-mail address tomorrow, the catalog is in the garage with the car and I locked up for the night.

Check back sometime tomorrow evening, and I will have the information posted for you.

Goodluck on your project

-Brad