• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Fuel Filters & A Disaster Averted

NosAvrenim

Since last fall (or maybe a bit longer), the gal has been running a bit rough -- particularly at idle in gear and just after a cold start. I'd tried adjusting the carb (a Holley 650 DP) but just couldn't get it running the way I wanted it to.

After a bit of thinking and working on some other small side projects on her, it hit me that I hadn't ever changed the fuel filter since I picked her up two years ago (it's such an easy part to overlook). So I ordered replacement Holley in-carb filters and waited for them to arrive.

Well, they arrived last week and I found some time today to swap them out. I did the "exhale test" on both the new and old sets and what a difference! The front filter was clogged with small bits and I had to strain to get air to go through (the back filter wasn't much better). Needless to say, this was a major component of the rough idle and slow throttle response. I put everything back together (with my 3yr old standing beside me the whole time and taking it all in -- he's already a Mustang fan and jumps at every chance to work on her with daddy) and tested the throttle -- no issues from a cold start and she idled well once she warmed up a bit. Just a little tweaking of the carb and she's running beautifully now. Just goes to show you what an impact a dirty fuel filter really has.

As a side note (and I'm sure most of you already do this), I tested the carb and throttle from the engine compartment and found a fuel leak from the back inlet that was dumping gas onto the intake manifold. When it comes to flammable fluids, I always check (and double-check) before calling the job done. As busy as we all can get, it's tempting to short-change the testing steps and "just get it done". If you get to that point in the project, just stop and come back later -- finishing "on time" just isn't worth the potential problems. I don't want to even think about what might've (correction...most certainly would've) happened if I'd just put everything back together without testing the connections. Needless to say, I'll be checking the connections one last time before I take her out on our next drive.

Safe driving all!
~Nate

Midnight Special

..Very nice post, Nate and so true!
Cars that sit for a few months can develop leaks at the clamps, connecting tube o-rings and have sticky floats from dry bowls as well. I got to where I remove the air cleaner, inspect everything, start the engine, then run around and look at everything again.

Although I've never had a fire, (knock on hood) there have been some pretty serious leaks and puddles of gas atop the intake! I'll shut her down, tighten the clamps... and 99% of the time; the o-rings and float valves will re-seal themselves with the fresh fuel flow.

Had I just jumped in and drove off, it could've been the disaster you speak of! I also remember my high school days working in service stations, assisting the mechanic with re-wiring cars where that happened quite often...

Ruppstang

Very good Nate. A old saying my dad allways liked is " Safety allways follows wisdom"
Sounds like you are rasing that three year old right. Marty

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Very good Nate. A old saying my dad allways liked is " Safety allways follows wisdom"
Sounds like you are rasing that three year old right. Marty

Thanks Marty. After reading stories here (and on other forums) about engine fires, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to anything remotely flammable and the '68.

I've learned the hard way over the years -- which included a rear wheel coming off my '67 Mustang coupe while driving down the road and rolling past me in college. Got distracted while putting the tires on and didn't snug them on well enough. :tongue:

As for my son....he jumps at the chance to work on anything with me -- car, truck, motorcycle, house/yard. The trick is to give him the right job and keep him engaged. With all the travel (and time away from home) I do during the week, it's good to have this time together.

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Was just listening to the radio (actually the Pandora radio application) and heard the a song by Eric Church - "The Hard Way" for the first time. There is a line in the song "That's a lesson I wish I woulda learned / Without havin' to watch my Mustang burn".

Funny how random things sometimes fit in with life at the right time.

Ruppstang

Thats cool!
My best friend's favorite saying is " It only takes a little longer to do it the second time"
I learned that one by doing! Marty

robert campbell

I got fooled by a slowly sinking brass float in one of my 4 Weber carbs on Val’s Fastback. At the end I was backing the car off my rack while the carb with a completely sunk float was puking gas everywhere on top of the motor. By the way, a brand new float. Sad think was it had been running “ok” (not good) until this event.

By the time I got it off the lift and away from the garage, I noticed the huge pond of gas on the freaking floor!! Weber manifold as two lips on each end of the manifold, so a huge pond of gas was sloshing around on the intake!!! Turned it off and slopped up all the gas. Garage floor and intake.... A little gas was left in the timing cover recesses....

Got wife out to turn key to run, not start position, to engage electric fuel pump while I was watching. Carb puked a bit of gas again, and I told her to turn ignition off. Engine never started and “pop” when she turned off he ignition. Small spark at the coil due to flex steel fuel line to close to coil..... Bazinga, small fire under coil in timing case cover.

Ran like a 57 year old man with bad knees and too much linguini around the middle!!! Got fire extinguisher and went into action. Stopped and reassessed the situation, ( no ladies my stomach does not look like the “Situation” ask Val) and blew out small fire with a massive blow from my lungs....

Went back in house and changed my depends..... Drank beer and counted my luck!! Thanked the Lord and drank more beer. I like beer!!

This is a no-shi_er!!! Happened about 3 months ago....

there is no moral to this story except.... “life is tough..... tougher if you are stupid”

Rob