• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need Help--Side Scoop Rivet Dimentions

P

PNewitt

If anyone is willing to help here, it would be greatly appreciated.

I need to know a couple of things: the distance between the upper inside of the scoop intake area--and the bottom of the top rivet head. Also the measurement from the side (or how it's centered). and...the same measurements for the bottom rivet.

I'd also like to see if we could get a few photos of original side scoop screens in place, since I have a theory that ALL the screens were cut exactly the same, (and symetrically) on both sides (L&R) of the car.

Thanks for your help. Your photos are welcome and encouraged, too!

Paul N.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
From center line of rivet to the inside edge of scoop recess I measure 9/16" horizontally and 3/8" vertically. Top and bottom the same. See first two pics attached.

Attachments

• HCS side scoops 230 - Copy.jpg
    HCS side scoops 230 - Copy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • HCS side scoops 231 - Copy.jpg
    HCS side scoops 231 - Copy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 32

admin

Staff member
Administrator
A few more detailed pics of my scoops.

Attachments

• HCS side scoops 229.JPG
    HCS side scoops 229.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 21
  • HCS side scoops 230.JPG
    HCS side scoops 230.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 20
  • HCS side scoops 231.JPG
    HCS side scoops 231.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
  • HCS side scoops 237.JPG
    HCS side scoops 237.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 20
  • HCS side scoops 239.JPG
    HCS side scoops 239.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 20
  • HCS side scoops 238.JPG
    HCS side scoops 238.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 22

CougarCJ

Paul, mine are loose and off of the car at the moment.

Making comparisons between the two mesh screens, I can make these observations:

Right and lefts are symetrical in shape. They are mirror images of each other. Perfect overlap, but holes do not line up.
They appear to be stamped with the same die. The reverse looks like the mesh material was stamped from the reverse side. Comparing the smooth side of the mesh steel, one has the sharp edge down, the other has the sharp edge up. Does tham make sense? Stamped from both the smooth side up and the rough side up.

On the scoops, the holes were drilled where the holes were located in the stainless steel mesh.

I am unable to get clear close up pictures with my camera and camera skills.

My rivets are long gone, just regular pop rivets?

My scoops look like they each have small crescent moon shaped voids for water drainage? Same position on the bottom near the back.

CougarCJ

I can do a scoop picture. Top holes are pretty close, bottom holes are off as shown.
GTCSrivetplacement.jpg

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WOW

That's amazing! how fast to get not only a response, but pics, too!!

I'll get back to you about the screen die-cut process.

I also think that the side stripes were put on the scoops after they were installed on the car (unless we have evidence otherwise).

thanks!!
Paul.

GTCS95616

Currently, the side scoops are off my car and the grilles are removed. The car has been repainted by the previous owner(s) and I cannot remember how the grilles were attached. In any case, I live near by (figure out the login name) and can show you the side scoops if you want to see them. I am currently very busy at work right now and it would be hard for me to schedule an exact meeting time, but let me know by sending an email to nakagiri@aol.com and I will do what I can to help out the cause.