• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

do you think is fraud

Mustanglvr

Yes, especially when every link you click on for that Ebay page comes up to email the seller through Yahoo. They don`t want you to go through Ebay to contact them and buy it.

Talan423

these pop up on ebay all the time. everything is kept private on the listing so you can't look into anything (try and click on his feedback). if you e-mail the seller they will tell you that were re-located out of the country and must sell the car which is still back in the USA. they want you to get the payment to them which will be overseas... they take your maney and you don't have a car. if it's too good to be true, it probably is. my advice... steer clear of this one.

68gt390

The fact that this is the CS that sold at Barrett Jackson earlier for $49000.00 and is now offered for a BIN of $6500.00 should tell you it's a scam.

Don

sam

oh yea.............gas cap is incorrect and where are the vin numbers?

Sam

RedGTvert

Not to mention the red rocks in the background. Don't remember seeing any formations like that when I drove through that state.

Perkchiro

Those scammers are all over e-bay. I looked at a 69 Boss 302 with a BIN of $6000. If you clicked on any link on that page it popped up an e-mail reponse box to the seller. I reported this to E-Bay and of course they wrote back to say "thank-you". I think the real question is how in the heck do these idiots get their garbage posted on ebay?

Steve in Missouri

Last edited:

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:
...and why?

What exactly is the scam and does it ever work?

They are getting marginally more sophisticated. Here is one with 10 fake bids to make it look legitimate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...63QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...I took it a step further & e-mailed one of them on a BIN $7,500 Boss 302 sometime back. 'Got the usual story of the seller being in England selling the car for his widowed sister. As he had no time to travel to the U.S. & just wanted to dump the car - he said if I were to wire him a $2K deposit, he would ship the car to me where I would pay the balance upon receipt...

Everyone who responds gets the same message whereby he collects as many "wire "deposits" from takers before e-bay kicks him off.

They also use e-bay ID's stolen from folks who trustingly respond to those "update your e-bay records" e-mails. Don't ever do that if you're an e-bay or pay-pal member...

Last edited:

LUVMYCS

Midnight Special said:
They also use e-bay ID's stolen from folks who trustingly respond to those "update your e-bay records" e-mails. Don't ever do that if you're an e-bay or pay-pal member...

Good advise Midnight Special!:smile:

390cs68rcode

68gt390 said:
The fact that this is the CS that sold at Barrett Jackson earlier for $49000.00 and is now offered for a BIN of $6500.00 should tell you it's a scam.

Don

also, the BJ CS was bid to only $23,000 on Ebay. This confirms that people at BJ pay way too much for cars.

Mustanglvr

390cs68rcode said:
also, the BJ CS was bid to only $23,000 on Ebay. This confirms that people at BJ pay way too much for cars.

I think Barrett-Jackson is a status thing. They are auctions for rich people. Bidders like to show off to one another who can waste their money the most.

390cs68rcode

Mustanglvr said:
I think Barrett-Jackson is a status thing. They are auctions for rich people. Bidders like to show off to one another who can waste their money the most.

I pretty much agree. Point I was trying to make was: when the BJ auction happened there were MANY around here that said CS prices are going up, woohooo, our cars are worth so much more now.........

now that we have all gotten a dose or reality we can see what they are trading hands for now. Hopefully if there is another CS at the BJ auction and it happens to go for stupid money we can all keep our heads planted on the ground instead of slapping high five and counting all that extra worth in our cars.

I try and be realistic and rational about what my things (cars/collectibles) are worth.

Mustanglvr

I`d love to see what a big block CS would go for on Barrett. I know the price that CS went for was on the ridiculous side, but it did`nt hurt.
Did anybody notice that the amount of users on this site hit an all time high the other night with 65 users at one time? Thats the most since last January, right after the Barrett auction. I think the new CS`s are making this site and the 68`s more popular now.

Perkchiro

A fine line exists between being realistic and rational and being negative. Seems like some here just can't begin to accept the thought of a high priced California Special. It's Okay for a 65 Chevelle or 69 Camaro or a Shelby. I'm still pondering as to why this is and why some on this site continue to "low ball" CS prices. Perhaps a good topic for further discussion.

Steve in Missouri

Mustanglvr

Most people don`t take the GT/CS seriously because it was considered a trim package, but it was a drastic factory modification. This modification changed plenty of the design of the typical 68 Mustang coupe. There are not many cars that had so many obvious changes done in the factory. The GT/CS is an entity all its own. These are very SPECIAL cars and future prices will reflect that.

LUVMYCS

Mustanglvr said:
Most people don`t take the GT/CS seriously because it was considered a trim package, but it was a drastic factory modification. This modification changed plenty of the design of the typical 68 Mustang coupe. There are not many cars that had so many obvious changes done in the factory. The GT/CS is an entity all its own. These are very SPECIAL cars and future prices will reflect that.

I totally agree Rhonda!:wink:

The more information that is out there, ie Paul's book, this site- the more sought after our cars will become making the prices go up. Thanks to our great "family" here, it's only a matter of time!