• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ice Storm

Perkchiro

Well Folks, SW Missouri is slowly recovering from one of the worst ice storms in our history. Massive power outages have devastated public water systems and utilities and put thousands of people out of their homes and work places. The Gov. declared this a disaster area. My power has been off for 4 days and we've been dealing with subfreezing temps. My power just came back on line last night. A hot shower was the first order of business!:smile: We're doing fine, but please keep our community in your prayers as we work to put our lives back in order.

I'll post some pictures later. If you've never seen ice coverings on everything, it's quite a sight to see.

Mustanglvr

Steve,
It`s good to know you are making it through the effects of this terrible storm. I have had you in my thoughts and prayers knowing Missouri was getting hit. If there`s anything I can do to help, just let me know. I`ll try my best. Hang in there! Rhonda

Mustanger

Steve,

I hope and pray that you and your loved ones will come out okay through all of this ... keep warm and keep dry ...

P

PNewitt

Calling "Ice Station Zebra"...

Steve--

Glad that you are OK. We sometimes forget that this site is about the people, not just the cars. I can't imagine four days in such cold without power. Hang in there, pal.

It must look like a winter wonderland...like a scene from "Dr. Zhivago".

It's probably out of the question--but a photo of your GT/CS on a frozen road, with trees covered in ice would be a guaranteed inclusion in my book, as well as the Dec or Jan calendar page in Jon's GT/CS Calendar.

In any case--stay warm, and as I read, the "troops" are here to help and provide support to you and all others in the ice storm area.

When it snows in Malibu, like yesterday, it makes the news here. Go figure.

Paul N.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Rhonda, Tim, Paul and Mustanger: Thanks for kind words. Presently, I'm sitting warmly in my family room and my internet is back up at home. Feeling a little guilty that I have a warm house when I know others still don't have power. Here are a few pictures I took on Monday. I live in the country, so it doesn't look too bad here, but the City of Springfield really has some damage from downed trees on top of power lines and houses as well as cars. There were over 100,000 people with out electricity when the storm hit. Things are rapidly improving, but we just got a new report of pending sleet and 4 to 6 inches of snow. Oh well, we shall overcome!
Take care all and thanks for your prayers.:wink:

Attachments

• Back Yard Ice.JPG
    Back Yard Ice.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Garage View Ice.JPG
    Garage View Ice.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Iced Birch Tree.JPG
    Iced Birch Tree.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Iced Road.JPG
    Iced Road.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Iced Trees.JPG
    Iced Trees.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Mom Dads Place.JPG
    Mom Dads Place.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Yard View Ice.JPG
    Yard View Ice.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 22

PFSlim

Steve

Glad you are okay. Not so bad in Kansas City compared to down south and glad for it. Hopefully everything is okay with the other folks down there. Let me know if there is something I can do.

Paul

Midnight Special

Perkchiro said:
...Things are rapidly improving, but we just got a new report of pending sleet and 4 to 6 inches of snow. Oh well, we shall overcome!
Take care all and thanks for your prayers.:wink:

Impressive pictures! Please keep us informed.
...We'll keep thinkin' of you Steve!

Gee, and we thought we had it BAD out here in California! ;-)

Attachments

• Stormdmg.jpg
    Stormdmg.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 23

Mustanglvr

Midnight Special said:
Impressive pictures! Please keep us informed.
...We'll keep thinkin' of you Steve!

Gee, and we thought we had it BAD out here in California! ;-)

Wow! Such devastation Tim! How did you live through it? lol

Sarge

Tim,
I'm feeling your pain, man. Woke up to frozen water pipes last week here in Folsom, no water... Couldn't make my double latte cafe mocha, and had to bathe in the hot tub......... Tried calling Arnie, but for some reason he didn't answer! :eek:

Really Steve, hope things get better and warmer for the folks in the heartland!!!

Robert

PFSlim

Even as of today (Jan 29), we still have ice piled up. I have not been able to get the stuff off my deck or any other areas that has not had much direct sun light. It is amazing how thick it still is today.

Paul

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Our ice is all gone.........melted away. The after effects are incredible. Most people have power, many don't yet. The biggest challenge right now is removal of all the waste. Piles and piles of tree limbs, uprooted trees and split trees are everywhere. Local officials are still debating how to get rid of all of it. As for me, I'm having a great big weeny roast this spring with a big backyard bonfire!!