• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ripping apart dash

erselt

Well I needed to replace the speedo cable (ripped/leaking)and the dash cluster and now I've started a larger "project." Since I was working on the dash area I now decided to:
-Repaint the entire aqua dash.
-Replace all woodgrain dash pieces, including lenses & one mustang badge
-Have needles on gauges repainted(faded)
-Replace AM/FM/cass stereo to original AM radio
-Replace the 3 heater cables(one was broken)
-Replace clock
-Replace carpet
-Replace door sills
Hopefully, everything will be done and put together in 2 weeks. If anyone has questions about replacing any of this stuff please let me know because it has been trial and error for me, but now I know how to do it. Luckily things have gone smoothly except for the darn speedo cable.
Eric

Attachments

• apartdash.jpg
    apartdash.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
E

erselt

Here's a photo of the new & old dash bezels --the top one is new. I just need to replace the clock and put a new dash clock lens on. Otherwise, the hands and other areas were repainted to their old glory days. This stuff is alot of work and adds up $$!

Attachments

• dashbezels.jpg
    dashbezels.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 18

darb

Question for you?

I'm redoing my dash as well, and I'm repainting the standard black dash with the original enamel laquer paint stuff - came in a can.

Anyway - it is all blotchy when I spray it, should I just wet sand and polish? Any tips?

-Brad

OP
OP
E

erselt

I've only sprayed my ashtray and nothing else. I usually work with enamel paints vs. lacquer. The main difference with lacquer is you need tons (5+) of light coats for it to work. I guess enamel and laquer don't mix either. Yes, it can be sanded w/ 600 grit paper. Does that answer your questions?

rjw

Eric,
That dash bezel looks great! I need to do this to mine as well. I really like that Deluxe interior; mine is standard black, and I have thought of changing it when I tackle this part of the car.
Richard

Gandystang

If you are getting blotchy spots while painting, it's most likely to be " Armor All " type products over sprayed on to the dash surfaces. You must remove all traces of this for proper paint finish. Good luck.......

OP
OP
E

erselt

Well I finally removed everything from the dash and I also pulled out all the seats. One thing I learned after looking under and through the dash is there were many things that were either worn or broken or just disconnected. I now know what a heater plenum is and that the hoses need to be connected for it to work!! ;)

Next step is finish sanding the dash and then spray painting it.

Attachments

• carpet.jpg
    carpet.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
E

erselt

Well after months of work I finally finished redoing my interior. My small little project turned into a big project and I did spend much more than I thought--Of course!! ;)

I...
painted the dash
replaced the dash bezel and all dash pieces
fixed my broken clock
replaced all screws in the dash area(many were missing)
repainted fog lamp switch
put new underlayment in
put new carpet in
put new door sills in
replaced the speedo cable
replaced the 3 heater cables
replaced the heater plenum
replaced the antenna (it was power and I went back to stock)
replaced 80's style radio with vintage 60's Philco
replaced misc. parts by tranny shifter
Next step...drive the car!!

Attachments

• redone1.jpg
    redone1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18

rjw

I know it represents hours of work, tons of sweat, a few bloody knuckles and a ton of money...but it looks really great! Congrats on a job well done!
Richard

hookedtrout

I will second the Great Job. Looks really nice and makes me want to get started on redoing mine as well.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Cory

OP
OP
E

erselt

Thanks for the kind words. Here's another shot.

I would like to tackle the door panels(painting) and putting new rubber all around, but I have a feeling that would be a BIG project. Anyone done that?

Attachments

• redone.jpg
    redone.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19

darb

Your car is looking very very nice! You have done a beautiful restoration, giving me lots of inspiration for my vehicle which is coming along pretty nicely.

I have heard that the painting and weatherstripping isn't too bad of a project. It was mentioned to me that it really only takes a good Saturday and possibly Sunday to lightly sand everything down, prep and paint. Followed by removing the old rubber and installing the new.

Really, the goal is to take your time - if you haven't done it before others have stressed that its very important just to go over your work so the result is excellent.

Goodluck on your project, it won't be too extensive.

-Brad