• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Day 1......730 miles

mbsf1970

My son and I are underway on our trip from Calgary Alberta to California and back up the Coast.

O.k. So day 1 was long and after pulling my hamstring 3 days ago, I assure you that I felt every mile. Man was I uncomfortable!!
Car drove well but needed oil on second fill up.....and again after third.....hmmmm! Get about 19-20 mpg. Went 268 miles on one tank and flirted with running out! It's ok though, I have 2.5 gals in trunk as emergency.

Tomorrow we had intended driving straight to Calif (another 750 miles) but I don't think I can do it again so we'll drive to Vegas and stay the night.....then we'll leave super early Tuesday and drive straight to Universal studios for opening at 9 a.m.

Ug, I'm tired already just thinking about it!

Stephen

Mosesatm

Wow, that's a long day!!
I usually limit myself to around 600 miles per day and that wears me out. I can't imagine going 730 miles.

Ruppstang

It is double bad with a painful injury to think of the whole time. We make a lot of long trips and find it helpful to get out of the car about 150 and do a short walk. Only about 5 minutes. It will help you stay alert and will help the stiffness with your injury. We can do 1000-1100 per day but two of us trade off. I use to drive the whole time but I am too old for that any more.
Have a good time and be safe.
Marty

TraveledGTCS

Sounds like you made good time. Many a time I have pushed the distance to see how far I can get on the tank of gas, after all I do have the extra in the trunk. Been caught a couple times when I pushed too far and the spare just barely helped to make it to the nearest station, where the gas was more expensive then if I did the fill-up earlier. Live and learn. I also like to stop 150 miles or so which is why I keep and eye out for the rest stops. Some, as in Washington state on the weekends, have coffee and cookies for the travelers. I also travel with a four legged companion so I need to think of his needs also. Depending on the road, time of year and locale, scenic etc., I usually go 600-800 miles. Just take it safe and enjoy the trip.

Bill

BigJim

Getting out and walking every 150 miles also helps prevent blood clots that can develop from sitting too long in the same position.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Day 2

610 miles with several pit stops. Not as painful as yesterday but I still squirmed somewhat.
In Vegas now--$42 for a room at The Orleans. Won $20 at blackjack and promptly left table-Vegas won't have its way with me this time! Bwahahahaha!

Putting in a quart of oil with every fill up so decided that too much pressure was being placed on leaking spot(s) at highway speeds (70-75mph) so I stopped in at a jiffy lube and changed out my fresh 10/30 for 20/50 to slow things down a bit. Upon arrival in Vegas, I checked oil and it didn't need any after 2/3 of a tank since oil change. Hopefully the oil change with slower speeds on PCH way home will do the trick.

Stephen
P.s. U.S. Gallon

Mosesatm

Something I've noticed over the years of road trips is that shoe type makes a huge difference in comfort after a few hundred miles.

My right heel hurts if I wear shoes with inadequate heel support. I actually find cowboy boots the most comfortable, because of the big solid heel, but those long toes tend to get hung up between the gas and brake pedals.

Recently I discovered the wonder of driving moccasins. Most of them have good heel support but the soles are thin for better control of the pedals (they are more or less made for racing). It took me a while to adjust to the thin soles but now I think they are great.

Here's the brand I use. Be warned, they are not inexpensive, and they aren't made to be worn all the time like normal shoes. That said, I wear the black ones as dress shoes to work!
http://www.pikolinos.com/us-en/fuencarral-15a-6175.html

Attachments

• fuencarral-15a-6175.jpg
    fuencarral-15a-6175.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Fuencarral Black.jpg
    Fuencarral Black.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Mohave desert crossed today. No issues whatsoever! A/c worked as it should, car didn't overheat and no extra oil used.
All in all, a great day!

Only about 360 miles today.

Going to Universal tomorrow and Thursday. Heading up to San Fran Friday. Going into city Saturday.

Stephen

Mosesatm

That's for sure!!!
If it's before 10am or after 3pm you'll be stuck in traffic.

robert campbell

I never had much luck with 10/30 oil in my older drivers. 20/50 worked a lot better and with a toy car not driven in the winter the extra viscosity helps with oil consumption.

The Ford owners manual in the 60's recommended 10/30, but that was before some of the higher performance 10/40 and 20/50 oils came out. Back in that day even non-detergent oils were used and boy did they crap up and engine. Gunk and sludge everywhere. There were people that swore that detergent oils would ruin you motor.

Certainly taking an old long mile motor with lots of sludge and adding a detergent oil was a bad idea!! You had to disassemble, thoroughly "de-sludge" and then change over. Not to mention a theory that all the sludge kinda "controlled" the oil consumption.

I run Royal Purple in both my cars. But they are toys with lots of oil pressure and so on. Very spendy, but supposed to be the good stuff for a guy that pounds on his car.

Rob