• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Exhaust help?

wally05

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about replacing the exhaust piping, keeping the stock manifolds. It has new Flowmaster 40s b/c the old mufflers had a mouse nest in one. I had them do a bunch of checks for junk valves and stuff while it was in my shop. No problems on the engine. He said that the piping may be kind of homemade and have off balance flow, resulting in the popping I'm still getting off throttle. I will replace the gaskets for the manifolds during that time, but they are not leaking and letting air in the exhaust. It has header paint all over the piping anyway and I'd like to maybe do some better tips out the back and such. What do you think, guys? Recommendations? How much to maybe replace the rear valance and do gt tips out the back?

CougarCJ

If you are thinking of upgrading your whole dual exhaust system, might as well consider upgrading to the freeer flowing repop HiPo 289 exhaust manifolds or do like I did and use 1969-1970 351W exhaust manifolds. Very similar to K-code manifolds and much more free flowing than the log style 289 exhaust manifolds. I also used a factory type H pipe for the 351W, slightly tweeked for my 302-4V. Muffler shop did the rest, ends with angled cut and bent pipes at the rear valance.

franklinair

I converted my 302 to dual exhaust - from the manifolds, back - including the GT tips & valance. My engine is bone stock, so I did not opt to change the exhaust manifolds. The dual system, with an 'H' pipe (a MUST) cost about $400. The GT tips, about $90. The repo GT valance from NPD, about $40. Be advised the repro valances do not fit well. The one I got was 3/4" short on the right side, and the left side contour didn't match-up to the rear fender contour. I ended up using my original valance, and had a body shop splice in the exhaust cutout areas. Metal work + paint cost $300. Bottom line, my dual exhaust system cost $800+/-. I like the look & sound, but the jury is still out - deciding if the project was worth the cost.

Neil

PS
If my memory serves me correctly, to be CORRECT, GT dual exhausts used a muffler mounted transversely forward of the fuel tank. I think these part$ are $till available (If you get my point)