• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted Lower console assembly

franklinair

I'll be needing a '68 console for my new CS acquisition. Anyone have or know of one available? Color doesn't matter.

Neil

gt/csj4

Just sold an upper half to a member not too long ago. I know of a guy (local to me), that has a complete one,(red) the pad is pretty warped and the plastic is cracked in all the screw holes. He wants 500 for it. Too pricey I think for all the damage it has. It is for a Manual. If interested I can contact him and see if he still has it

robert campbell

Darn Neil. I sold my black auto one for $400.00 to someone on the site. complete and in darn nice shape to include the deep radio knobs. It had a few small pits in the long chrome piece behind the shifter near the edges where it meets the vinyl.

Rob

di81977

Neil,

There is a guy here in Denver that has a bunch of them. He is a bit eccentric. Give me a few days to follow up and I will let you know if he will sell one and what he wants for it. If successful, I might be able to deliver it. I am going to be in Salem/Clemson area late March. And I owe you lunch.

David

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Super! I bought one a few years ago from a member here, that I installed in my Meadowlark Yellow CS. As I recall, it was about $400+/-. in very nice condition. Hope I can get lucky again.

Neil

teamlo

Super! I bought one a few years ago from a member here, that I installed in my Meadowlark Yellow CS. As I recall, it was about $400+/-. in very nice condition. Hope I can get lucky again.

Neil

That was the one you bought from me Neil. I'm glad you put it to good use! Good luck with you new acquisition! It looks really nice.

Terry

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Yep, I'm still looking. Color doesn't matter- they're easy to dye.

Neil

CougarCJ

Yep, I'm still looking. Color doesn't matter- they're easy to dye.

Neil
Neil, you sent me an email. I am at work. 1968 Cougar consoles have padding. Not sure if that is what you need. Manual transmission? really tough to find on a Cougar.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Scott;
Curious to know how similar a Cougar console is to a Mustang console. (A/T)

Neil

x-codegtcs

yeah, they are REALLY different. Usually have a clock where the roll up door goes and there is no chrome insert - the entire top pad is "padded"; leather grain is very different texture too.

The guy says he will sell the one for $425. He is going to dig out so I can get you some photos. It is black and he says it is in really nice shape.

CougarCJ

yeah, they are REALLY different. Usually have a clock where the roll up door goes and there is no chrome insert - the entire top pad is "padded"; leather grain is very different texture too.

The guy says he will sell the one for $425. He is going to dig out so I can get you some photos. It is black and he says it is in really nice shape.

Yup, padded on the long part, padded with a clock on XR7 models, padded with a roll up garage door on the standard (non-XR7) Cougars.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I understand the different appearance... but will they physicly fit?
I absolutely want a console. Options/type possibilities: Mustang, Cougar, Shelby, Humphugger??

Neil

di81977

Neil,

I will call you later to discuss, but I currently have plans to see/purchase the console in Denver tomorrow morning. The one above in Utah will be cheaper (if it is complete).

Here are pictures of the humphugger. One came in my convertible when I bought it. I ended up selling it, but it fit very well and is functional (place for drinks and storage). I think they run about $200. I sold mine on craigslist for $100 same day listed.

David

Attachments

• hump2.jpg
    hump2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 21
  • hump1.jpg
    hump1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20

CougarCJ

I understand the different appearance... but will they physicly fit?
I absolutely want a console. Options/type possibilities: Mustang, Cougar, Shelby, Humphugger??

Neil

The bases are exactly the same in 1968, there would be a difference for A/C and non-A/C.

di81977

The bases are exactly the same in 1968, there would be a difference for A/C and non-A/C.

Scott, what is the difference between an AC and non AC console base and can a non AC be modified? I assume it has something to do with the underdash components and hoses??

CougarCJ

Scott, what is the difference between an AC and non AC console base and can a non AC be modified? I assume it has something to do with the underdash components and hoses??

The front of the consoles were trimmed so that the floor vent would not be blocked on cars with factory A/C.

68sunlitgold

Here are pitures of a console without A/C and one with A/C. (you can trim a non-A/C console to fit a car with A/C)

Doug

Attachments

• 72_12_sb.jpeg
    72_12_sb.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 32
  • console3a.jpg
    console3a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33

68sunlitgold

You can also repair them....here is one I repaired.

Doug

Attachments

• fixed console 1.jpg
    fixed console 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 49
  • fixed console 1a.jpg
    fixed console 1a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 47