• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking for Holly carb or will hit Jegs\ Summit

HappyHour

Hey there CS'ers....

Finally looking to source a rebuilt carb for my 68.

Thanks for some previous feedback Ill be looking for a 1850 (with elec choke) from Jegs or Summit ($230 ish) but wanted to check if anyone had a good unit or core laying around. Need it to swap current one to better resolve pesky leak from back bowl area (prev thead).

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/65-1850/10002/-1

Im running a 302 and so think 600 cfm would be fine so can grow with this with mods would onces $$ arrives!!

Advice is always appreciated if you have input. :grin:

Here is the original thread..
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6267&highlight=carburetor+jegs

Robert

franklinair

I opted for an Edelbrock 600CFM to mate with the Edelbrock Performer intake OR the 302 4BBL intake if you're using the Ford intake. (electric choke)

Neil

Mosesatm

I have a fairly new Holley 80457 sitting on a shelf if that will help.

Attachments

• 0-80457S.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Neil is that the 9905?

Yeah been looking at previous threads and having Pony take of all the imperfections of older carbs would be bueno unfortunately I need to budget.

PM sent onda Holley...

robert campbell

Not sure where you are going with your car, but a Holley carb is infinitely more adjustable than an Edelbrock/Carter carb (my opinion Neil). If you want to go to headers, and maybe a mild cam, or ported heads, I would be all over Arlies carb. You do not need the kick down as it is part of the throttle assembly in 1968. Electric choke is also you best bet if you go to headers.

I rebuild and rebush old Holleys. Nothing wrong with the Edelbrock, but if you plan to add performance stuff, I would go Holley.

Rob

franklinair

Holley's may very well be the better choice nowadays. I just retain a dislike for them with their past tendency to blow the power valves. I just set up my cars for mundane driving & cruising - high performance (for me) went out the window 30 years ago. The Edelbrock's are a no brainer, easy install, simple adjust, reliable, and a little less expensive. (This is what happens when you become an old fuddy-duddy!!)

Neil:grin:

robert campbell

Steve,
I have heard rumors about pony carbs also. The hard thing for any carb supplier to do is to be able to "wet" tune a carb. Bench settings are fine, but that touch of fine tuning and the conditon of the engine and timing and?????? Makes all the difference. After a day in Grass Valley with you, I know your abilities!! You are a tuning nut like me!!

Neil,
All the new Holleys came with an anti-backfire circuit that eliminates the blown power valve problem. They also sell a kit to retrofit them into old carbs. I have done a bunch of them.

Rob

PFSlim

Last week, I purchased a Holley 4150 Double Pumper (600 cfm Model number 4776-S) for my cobra. Yes, I said 600 cfm for my cobra. And here is the reason why.

I had a Holley 750 for my car that came used from the engine builder. The 750 (I think) was to rad for the 390 FE. So, I started looking at the 650. After talking to our engine tunner guy, he recommended the 600 stating that he felt it would cool better, idle better, more driveable. Now, this probably means that I will not generate HP over 5,000 to 6,000 rpm, but I am okay with that. i will keep the 750 and if I don't like the 600, I can always go back.

Anyway, I purchased the 600 from Jegs. Always happy with their product.

Paul

di81977

I down graded from a 750 to a 700 double pumper on my 393 stroker. Have not raced yet this year, so not sure what the results will be. Obviously I am expecting it be be faster. 600 seems awfully small for a 390, hope it works out for you Paul.

I think I have posted this before, but when I had my 750, my needles were getting clogged with gunk. I would clean them out and then right away they would get clogged. again I was thinking the worse (gas tank lining), but when I pulled the carb apart, I found that the lining in the bowls were coming off. Quick search on the internet told me that Holley was having problems with certain carb build dates where they used too much lead in the mfg process and were having this problem. Fortunately, they replaced for free (I paid one way shipping costs).

Also, if you replace your holley bowls with dominator bowls, you can move your fuel line to the right side of the carb which can help keep the fuel cooler (not sure how the fueld lines run with a Big Block).

David

PFSlim

David

I hear ya. It does seem small. But once again, I am building the car to be 100% driveable, not fast. In my opinion, with a 2500 pound car and somewhere around 400 hp, fast comes natural.

Will post how it works out once we get it out of the garage.

Paul