• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Possible So. Calif. GT/CS get together?

P

PNewitt

Since I've heard, and seen in photos, so much about the wonderful GT/CS owners in southern California, I would like to toss around the idea of some sort of get-together, to get to meet all of you (and each other), and to get some photographs (and video) of the cars for my book.

I also need to see David about his drag car, and to perhaps video tape a run or two at the drags.

I would like to do this before this December, since I'm coming down to interview some folks for the book, too, and photograph some So Cal landmarks for the book.

Is there some way we could make this work? On a Saturday-Sunday?

I also could meet a couple of folks individually, if they can't make it to the get-together.

Thanks!

Paul Newitt

Mustanger

Cooool ... good chance that I'll finally get to meet Paul "da Man" Newitt ... I'm sure the success of this get together would depend on which particular day(s) you're targeting to visit here in So Cal ...

joedls

I'll do whatever I can to attend and/or help organize, once you have a date in mind. But, if it's going to be before December, we better get moving :grin:

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I have a "wish list" of possible places to photograph several GT/CSs in Los Angeles. They include famous hot spots that were there in 1968:

The Encounter Restaurant (Theme Bldg.) at LAX:
http://www.encounterlax.com/

Bob's Big Boy in Burbank:
http://www.bobs.net/renovation/renov.html
(we could park in back at the car hop area)

Santa Monica Pier:
http://www.santamonicapier.org/

or Farmer's Market:
http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

Shelby American's old hangar on Imperial Hwy, near LAX (where the rear CS/Shelby coupe spoiler was originally carved in clay)

....and the Century Plaza Hotel, in Century City (Ave of the Stars).

I also need to know which drag strip David A. races at, and if we can have a run or two there (and who wants to be the other CS racer?)

I was thinking of some sort of caravan with a few/many GT/CS cars to get some "typical So. Cal" photos. We couldn't do "everything"but one or two? What do you So Cal owners think????

Paul N.

tworings

Depending on the date(s), we'd love to try and make it. Maybe the OC people can caravan to LA.... ~Tworings

CALIF GIRL

I would love to go. I can not bring my GT/CS. She is being stripped down for her new paint....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 24

davidathans

Hey Paul, i race at LACR Los Angeles County Raceway its in Palmdale...the website is www.lacr.net

if you want to see some videos of my car go to this website:

www.myspace.com/gtcs347

you will need to have like a flash 9 player though...

i will be racing again this November at LACR...my friend has a 2004 Mach I that he just put a 4.10 gear ratio in..so he wants to run some 13s and i want to run in the 12.60s again...

At LACR it would have to be a friday night..racing is from 6-10pm $20 to race

i was thinking about the weekend of November 17th or 24th
The other CS racer.... how about Joedls?? i think it would be a close race if you had slicks to use, do you?

joedls

davidathans said:
Hey Paul, i race at LACR Los Angeles County Raceway its in Palmdale...the website is www.lacr.net

if you want to see some videos of my car go to this website:

www.myspace.com/gtcs347

you will need to have like a flash 9 player though...

i will be racing again this November at LACR...my friend has a 2004 Mach I that he just put a 4.10 gear ratio in..so he wants to run some 13s and i want to run in the 12.60s again...

At LACR it would have to be a friday night..racing is from 6-10pm $20 to race

i was thinking about the weekend of November 17th or 24th
The other CS racer.... how about Joedls?? i think it would be a close race if you had slicks to use, do you?

Not even close! I'm not putting out any more than 275 RWHP. I've never run on a dragstrip. Might be fun..

Diesel Donna

PNewitt said:
(and who wants to be the other CS racer?)

Paul N.

Like, DUH! Hahahahaaaa who else but Joe!! Well if he would lend me his car I suppose I could do it for him. ::::::::::::ducking:::::::::::::::

hicountrybob

PNewitt said:
I have a "wish list" of possible places to photograph several GT/CSs in Los Angeles. They include famous hot spots that were there in 1968:

The Encounter Restaurant (Theme Bldg.) at LAX:
http://www.encounterlax.com/

Bob's Big Boy in Burbank:
http://www.bobs.net/renovation/renov.html
(we could park in back at the car hop area)

Santa Monica Pier:
http://www.santamonicapier.org/

or Farmer's Market:
http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

Shelby American's old hangar on Imperial Hwy, near LAX (where the rear CS/Shelby coupe spoiler was originally carved in clay)

....and the Century Plaza Hotel, in Century City (Ave of the Stars).

I also need to know which drag strip David A. races at, and if we can have a run or two there (and who wants to be the other CS racer?)

I was thinking of some sort of caravan with a few/many GT/CS cars to get some "typical So. Cal" photos. We couldn't do "everything"but one or two? What do you So Cal owners think????

Paul N.
"and who wants to be the other CS (or HCS) racer", well, ME and perhaps Scott Fuller if we can make it because this sounds like a threat or challenge to me. HC Bob here.

davidathans

I dont know if it is too soon, but my friend wants to go to LACR on 10/27 so that is a few weeks sooner than i mentioned earlier...would it be possible to race another CS that night? if the other nights were better then i'll race twice because i couldnt pass up racing another CS.

So...

10/27? 11/17? 11/24?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It looks like we're going to need to form a "GT/CS Drags" day down in So. Cal... Look! They're lining up!!

Which BTW--I found an old article in a '69 Car Life about how rear spoilers raise the front end at speed--and how a front spoiler brings it back down. But I digress..

I'd like to hear about how many folks in So. Cal would like to get together. I'll need about 10 days to figure out the exact logistics for my trip. I'll pray for NO rain, too!

I appreciate Joe's and David's offer--let me get back to you both. As for Calif Girl--perhaps I could come to you, and do some pics for the restoration part of the book?

thanks!! This will be very cool!

Paul N.

sam

Hey, New England is the place to be in the Fall.........foliage time!
I think everyone should consider meeting either in the White Mountains of NH or the NH or ME seacoast. Besides..............I think there are only 2 or 3
68 California Specials in New England. To see so many would be a novelty.

Sam

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

ACTUALLY....I was thinking of "regional" get togethers across the country; that could be photographed, and video-taped for the GT/CS Recognition Guide "DVD" that will be included with the book.

The key is getting other owners to know about it. Most likely through this site, but I think everyone knows of one or two others near where they live.

I think to have scenes on the DVD that say "representing the New England states, are...", and "representing the midwest, are these cars..." etc..

I'll take digital 8mm tapes, if you want to make them.

good idea, Sam.

Paul N.