• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should I charge $$ to join the GT/CS Registry?

P

PNewitt

Since 1985, I've been collecting information on the '68 GT/CS. I've been volunteering my time to do this for the past 23 years. Since collecting the data for the 1968 version is complete, I'm considering charging a small fee that is required to include your CS in the Registry.

This would NOT affect cars already in the Registry, and for those of you reading this--PRESENTLY--there is no current charge to join. I'm just soliciting responses to this idea right now....

This would be for the 1968, 2007, 2008, and 2009 GT/CS Mustangs, and I'm thinking of a $25 fee.. What I would do is include a registry decal, a dash plaque, and a certificate. People that sent in a copy of their Marti Report (early model)--or HVB form (late model), would have a notation of authenticity placed on their certificate. The late model dash plaque would be like the ones you see on the Shelbys--in the center of the dash, between the A/C registers. My having a Ford License opens the door to do this type of thing.

Of course, owners already in the GT/CS Registry could purchase the decals and dash plaques--and certificates (via proof) separately.

Part of this money would go towards placing small ads in Mustang & Ford Magazines for people to join the GT/CS Registry--for all years. This would be a win-win for everyone, since it would greatly open up awareness of the GT/CS..

I'm also working on forming a "Team GT/CS" within the SVTOA, as a separate part of the Registry. More on that later.

Your thoughts???

thanks--Paul N.

rvrtrash

I don't think I'd spend money to put my car in a registry, but I freely admit I'm cheap about that sort of thing. For the new car owners, they can save their window stickers or get the HvBOM report to prove it's a CS, if that matters to them. I don't think an extra certificate would get very many excited. Maybe if there was a CS club with a monthly newsletter, etc. it would be more attractive, but I don't think you'd get very many responses otherwise. Just my .02 .

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Another aspect of this is that after the book is out, the registration work of these cars has to be worth my time. That is, I've done this for a very LONG time, and with all that I do (like my real job), and the questions that I need to answer, chase down, look for clones, confirm, etc...it does take up a LOT of my time.

Honestly, I actually need some incentive to continue doing this, because otherwise, I'll just cease doing it, and let this site register cars.

Being a registrar is a difficult and tedious job.

Paul N.

68gt390

I agree with Steve. You can only gather so much information and after awhile it becomes overload. I'm not trying to down play what you've already done Paul but, it's kinda like the diecast - I'll let it take care of it's self. The registry has survived this long - I think it will continue to grow without a dollar figure being put on it. I've always had the idea that you've done this for your "love" of the car. Now it's beginning to sound like a venture for profit. Granted I haven't been at it as long you have but, I spent a lot of time trying to get a company interested in the diecast. I sought no profit and no fame from doing that. I just wanted a model done of the car. I'm happy to leave it at that. You may or may not agree with me and that's fine. Just like your original books - they now draw a premium price as may the diecast in the future. That's why I've stored several cases of them including the "Royal Maroon" model in my basement. Bottom line for me - If I have to pay a fee to belong to the registry I'm gone. I've made a lot of friends here and we will continue to communicate outside this venue.

Don - 68gt390

rvrtrash

Honestly, I actually need some incentive to continue doing this, because otherwise, I'll just cease doing it, and let this site register cars.

Paul N.

I'm sure there are a number of us here, including myself, that would take it over for you if you're burned out. I would suggest splitting it between two people, one for the 68's and one for the new ones, to lighten the load.

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'm sure there are a number of us here, including myself, that would take it over for you if you're burned out. I would suggest splitting it between two people, one for the 68's and one for the new ones, to lighten the load.

Steve

"IF" I stopped the registry....I think to be fair to the privacy of those who have registered their cars, to return their information and let them decide if they wanted to send it to a new registrar.

I already have someone in mind to take it over--if it should come to that. It takes a special person to run a registry--and it's something you need to learn. It just doesn't happen.

But I'm not talking about doing that right now...I just wanted feedback for this idea. I may or may not do it--it's my prerogative. There are many other Registries (and car associations) that charge a small fee. It's not uncommon. Over the years, I've had many people ask me if there is a charge to join.

PMN

Last edited:

GT/CS S Code

I'd be in for it ....

Hi Paul,
Just my .02 worth too, but for less than the current cost of a quarter of a tank of super premium gas in our "S" code to help support you, the book, and the GT/CS Registry .... I'd be in for it!
There are costs to everything in life, and I don't think that a fee of $25.00 for all of your time and ongoing efforts is excessive or unwarranted .... especially since you'd be offering some GT/CS related "goodies" in return for the money spent.
:grin:
Our car is still only about 90% completed right now, after an unplanned and unscheduled major restoration session over the last two and half months, with the total cost of parts and labour quickly approaching $10,000.00 in addition to the original purchase cost of the car. At this point another $25.00 would just be a drop in the bucket ......!
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cnassif

With all the time and money we spend on these cars, this is only a drop in the bucket.

I would be surprised if anyone wouldn't sign up and pay.

Midnight Special

"IF" I stopped the registry....I think to be fair to the privacy of those who have registered their cars, to return their information and let them decide if they wanted to send it to a new registrar.

I already have someone in mind to take it over--if it should come to that. In a recent conversation I had with Rick Kopec (SAAC), it takes a special person to run a registry--and it's something you need to learn. It just doesn't happen.

But I'm not talking about doing that right now...I just wanted feedback for this idea. I may or may not do it--it's my prerogative. There are many other Registries (and car associations) that charge a small fee. It's not uncommon. Over the years, I've had many people ask me if there is a charge to join.

PMN

...So with all the years of support, dedication, information, finance, fame, notoriety, authority, awards and all-out faith everyone has paid you already, not to mention your years of telling us you're the only one who can do it and the only one who's earned the right....you still believe yourself above the actual effort! Even when you stand to make a good profit selling it all back to us!

Sorry, but I'm not buying this latest (calculated) round of "praise me or pity me, but don't hold me to it" Newitt.....

YES, please do consider passing it on to someone who is dedicated to the cause (and is not so high maintenance) with the same cooperation everyone has given YOU all these years. (not through sabotage by sending everything back only to garner even more pity)

People here deserve far better respect than another stalling provocation!

There are excellent registries all over the world covering all matters of historic transportation written and maintained by people who you never hear about until the deed is done. You, on the other hand, have had it backwards. I agree that you no longer feel the "incentive"... You let the "gravy" sit too long and now it's cold. and like so many of your other posts - this circus; old!

Mosesatm

Steve

Paul, I agree with Steve.

You have worked with these cars for a long time but if it's time to hand the torch to someone else there is certainly no shame in that.

To answer your question in the OP; With the Marti report accepted as the only true evidence of a GT/CS or HCS being the real deal I dont' see a lot of value in the registry, except for statistical purposes, so I would not pay to have my car in it.

hufbeats

As I own a late model CS, I have all the original documentation for the car. There are no Marti reports to fall back on but there is another registry already in place for the new vehicles & he has been obtaining the VINs as they are produced incliuding option lists. Personally I see no need for a payment. If you are tired of doing it, pass it on. It started as a hobby & should remain so. Once you charge, you will only get a portion participating.
Therefore you will never be able to maintain a complete list. It has nothing to do with your book which I presume was started as a profit making venture. I suggest you look at the book sales to see how many you might expect to pay to be in the registry. Furthermore how much revenue could you derive from this? There are a limited number of vehicles left out of the original 4000+ & even if you add the late models you will probably only wind up with a small number of takers. My thopughts for what they are worth.

Mustanglvr

This would be for the 1968, 2007, 2008, and 2009 GT/CS Mustangs, and I'm thinking of a $25 fee.. What I would do is include a registry decal, a dash plaque, and a certificate. People that sent in a copy of their Marti Report (early model)--or HVB form (late model), would have a notation of authenticity placed on their certificate. The late model dash plaque would be like the ones you see on the Shelbys--in the center of the dash, between the A/C registers. My having a Ford License opens the door to do this type of thing.

Your thoughts???

thanks--Paul N.

What else does your Ford License open the door for you to do Paul? Just wondering.

6t8-390gt

I do not think charging for the registry is appropriate, however, if you wanted to offer the items listed for a fee to advertise the registry and for owners to show pride in their car being a CS I think would be OK.

I do not currently own a CS, so "joining" the CS registry is a mute point. I do and will continue to applaud you and the other registrars who have made public the registries. I have only registered one of my cars w/ the appropriate registry and only did that b/c the previous owner had registered the car. Why share my information if the information on other cars is not shared and we learn from the registration. So for publishing the registry...thanks. That being said, I would register a CS if I owned one. I fully understand the registrar being paid through books sales and again I am OK with that b/c the entire hobby benefits from having the book as a reference and that person has spent endless hours organizing the information.

Good Luck with what ever you decide. This site and past published registries has helped me tremedously. Thanks to all.

Danny

di81977

I'd be much more inclined to pay a fee to support this website than for the registry. I participate on a C2 Corvette site, a Cadillac CTS site, and a Mazdaspeed site. They all have fee based forums (along with free usage).

Jon, you have done an incredible job providing this forum for us folks!

I don't get much value from the registry. The website is were I get all my CS/HCS interaction and I have a Marti report.

However, I would like to see the new book completed (during my life time). This is were I see the registrar providing value that I would absolutely be willing to pay for.

As others have suggested, maybe it is time to move on. Sounds like there are many capable individuals interested in helping out

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I appreciate all the responses....and I didn't mean to directly imply that I was giving up the registry--just yet. I also saw in your responses a direction that I might be looking for the same greed that others in the muscle car hobby are after these days....and that surprised me. Thanks for pointing that out. I want to keep it more "grass-roots" than that...

Let me also say that over the years, I have received many, many nice and supportive letters and comments in support of what I've done with the Registry. It's not an easy job, that any other automotive registrar would agree with. The supportive letters DO help me continue my work with the Registry. I've also had an offer to input data from one (late model) member. Once the database is set up, it will be a LOT easier to manage the registry (and to cross-reference the data, too).

What I think I'll do is continue the registry without a fee, but will offer the decals, dash plaques and a few other items as "GT/CS Registry Collectibles". This can help offset my time and provide some extra cash to run ads to promote the registry in magazines and help the awareness of the GT/CS to others. This gives people an option, and they are not put on the spot to register their car. Besides, I'd probably sell more items that way to existing members than just to new members. This will be a win-win for everyone. BTW--the decals have become very popular.

Again, I appreciate all your time to post your (honest) comments and ideas. I feel so fortunate to have the support that I do have here.

Paul N.

Mark Puls

Thanks to the Webmaster

As a 1 yr member here who had never heard of a California Special before joining I wanted to provide a thanks to Jon for the website.

If not for this website I would have had no idea of what to look for in a GT/CS.

As much as we here about registries and registrars no one seems to give any credit to the person running the website. I like many others would gladly pay a fee for using the website but since I have a Marti there is no need for a registry.

That being said I would wonder how many members would have stumbled onto the great information and varied opinions that makes this site so great of they had to pay a fee for either?

Midnight Special

...Well said Mark. Jon's humble kindness has provided unspeakable value & pleasure to the hobby and to the GT/CS - HCS. Many here have also thanked him in their first year of membership, but it doesn't hurt to do it again and again!

Thanks Jon!!

Doug

...Well said Mark. Jon's humble kindness has provided unspeakable value & pleasure to the hobby and to the GT/CS - HCS. Many here have also thanked him in their first year of membership, but it doesn't hurt to do it again and again!

Thanks Jon!!

I'll 2nd that. I'll pay a few $ to the site manager if needed to keep this site running; I do it at SAAC..

IMHO - As much as it's great to read about our cars in the Recognition-Guide the real value is the Marti report and the other members on this site who (for me at least) keep the information flowing; and for me at least point us in the right direction. Sites like this have many "great minds" and knowledgeable people who share their information. And all this at no cost. As one might say this site is “all about the cars.