• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 "original" A/C Install Questions Please Help ID Parts

njmop

I purchased a complete A/C (underhood) for my GT/CS that came with factory air, but not there when I purchased the car.

I got this a/c system from a local guy that said it was a 68 set. It looks like it has 67 part numbers mixed with 68, but I need help!

I need a 289/302 68 a/c diagram or original setup photos. I installed some parts (5 blade fan and spacer, compressor mount and an extra pulley).

What is the extra pulley for and is this setup somewhat correct for my car? I am "mocking" the entire system in and can't find any good reference. When I do find diagrams, that pulley looks like a bick block add on.

Please comment on the pulley and guide me with diagrams and photos if you have them!

Thanks

Attachments

• acmod.jpg
    acmod.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 37
  • acmod2.jpg
    acmod2.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 38
  • acmod3.jpg
    acmod3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
  • acmod4.jpg
    acmod4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33

Mosesatm

Just sent you a message

Attachments

• DSCN6633 (1000x750).jpg
    DSCN6633 (1000x750).jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 43

CougarCJ

That is the 1967 to mid-1968 style small block A/C bracket set.
Brackets changed about 3/1/1968, to a different set of pulleys, and stamped steel lateral bracket. You have the cast iron one pictured in your picture.

franklinair

The fun REALLY begins when you start installing the under dash pieces (unless you're lucky enough that it wasn't already removed).
Do yourself a favor,though: Put in a new heater core to save a problem later on. (And have it pressure tested before installing it.)

Neil

PS:
I opted for the new rotary compressor kit from Classic Auto Air rather than use the old 'one lunger' compressor.

Attachments

• Green GTCS 267.jpg
    Green GTCS 267.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 36

CougarCJ

x2 on the heater core. Stay away from aluminum cores, pay the premium for the brass heater cores.

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

My core was good before disassembled it and all internals were in the car. My main switch assembly (left of steering wheel) has a small crack on the mount though. bummer.

Can I pressure test the heater core in it or just bit the bullet and swap it...also, I need to get a new compressor too. Was debating having original rebuilt, but still need to covert everything so classic air is likely best way.

I am sure there will be a punch list of items than I'll need as I go through this...

Thanks.

CougarCJ

If you are going with the R134, I would get the under hood kit from one of the vendors and use the Sanden compressor, like Neil has.

franklinair

Yes, you can pressure test the heater core- but that's no guarantee of longevity. For installing the system it's cheap insurance to replace the heater core. (It makes a really bad stain on the carpet when it fails.)
Replace the expansion valve, water control valve (mounted on the firewall right side) and hose.
If you modify to the rotary compressor & R134 Freon CAA will recommend a larger condenser.

Neil

Tim_morrison82

the stuff you have is for early cars, so a cali special may not have had this 67 based set. it would probably be un noticable for most anyway, so I wouldnt worry.

I am technically doing the same thing to my car, it had all onderhood parts removed when they changed the engine. my underdash stuff was still there and in great shape. the heater core was stuffed though.

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Thanks everyone and Neil thanks for the heads up on the other parts to replace too. That type of experience/knowledge is what will hopefully save some time in the end.

Here I am finally with a couple of days to put the car back together enough to fire it up and I realize that as many parts that I have acquired over the past 5 years and how I thought I had everything ready, I already have a laundry list of parts again!