• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Witness Line & No Witness Line

case12

Somewhere there is a thread where someone asked for what a scoop looked like with a witness line, and without a witness line. Since I have one of each, here they are. No witness line on the left. Witness line on the right. Click on picture to make larger.

From the picture with the witness line on the right, you can see the indention (witness line) about 1/4 inch from the front edge of the scoop.

The witness line is desirable as a likely original scoop. Many scoops have been replaced or sanded down in restoration, and therefore do not have the witness line. Casey

Attachments

• no witness.jpg
    no witness.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
  • witness.jpg
    witness.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 76

Mustanglvr

Thats quite a pronounced witness line on that scoop. It seems alot wider than the others I`ve seen. And thats a bad scratch, too bad for that.

OP
OP
case12

case12

No scratches on that baby! :icon_pani That is the high gloss reflection of the rocker panel of my '66 mustang sitting next to her in the garage. :thumb:

68gt390

Casey;
Thanks for posting that. I went out in the garage and checked mine again and low and behold, both my scoops have the witness lines.

Don :grin:

P

PNewitt

I might have mentioned this before, but that "witness line" is a casting mark from how they made the side scoops.

A.O. Smith made this special "mush" of their own plastic goo (kinda like oatmeal) that was pressed into two-part steel molds. The steel mold had a front part of it that was interchangeable--for either the Shelby (with the cutout), or without the cutout for the GT/CS.

Another example of how the '68 Shelby and GT/CS were made side-by-side.

Thanks to Casey for showing this example! What a beautiful car!

Paul N.

PFSlim

So, are we saying or did someone say that the originals should have witness lines and that repo's do not?? Or, is it just that some do not have the line??

Paul

luisa2552

There have been quite a few threads on this and one of them says that repro's don't have the line, only originals. BUT the scoops could be original and had their witness lines sanded off before paint.

Mustanger

I believe that Rebel Mustang sells high quality repo side scoops that may have the desired witness line...

clubpro

Rebel Mustang side scoops

Just wanted to chime in on this thread. Rebel Mustang make exact reproductions of the side scoops. The process is exactly the same as the original and the scoops are perfect! They will need a little shaping to fit perfectly, but you wont be disappointed. The price is good at $180 a pair.
After my body guy saw them and shaped them he said that they are exact in every way and that he wont use any other scoops from now on.