• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How many have a 331 or 347?

miller511

Hey all,

Was just wondering how many of you have put a 331 or 347 in your CS?

I just ordered a 347 long block (Ford Racing roller cam with Edelbrock heads...woo hoo!!!)

I'm pretty excited about putting the rest of the engine and acessories together when it arrives.

Also, I have a co-worker who does vinyl signs as a side business. I'm going to have him make a "347 High Performance" decal for the air cleaner. It will be "curved" to the radius of the edge of the air cleaner (13" dia?). Probably will have the checkerboard on either side. Color scheme to be determined. I may integrate GT/CS or California Special script on it, too.

If anyone else is interested in the 347 decals, let me know.

-Jeff

Perkchiro

Sounds really cool Jeff. Be sure to post some pics of your engine build as you go along. By the way, my exhaust manifold paint is a high temp paint I purchased from Eastwood. I'll check the color when I get home tonight and PM you. Thanks for the nice compliment on my car, much appreciated.

di81977

Jeff,

I pulled my 302 and went with a 393 stroker. No substitute for cubic inches! Converting to a Windsor block was pretty easy, bolts right in. Main issue is dealing with PS, Alternator and Headers. All easily surmountable.

Good luck and enjoy your new engine!

david

dpheyes

Jeff,

Sounds like a great idea. Put me on your list or something. I've got a "brand new" 347 330HP still in the crate waiting till my car gets repainted. I'm replacing the 351 2V that a previous owner swapped for the original 302 4V.

I've got an extra air cleaner lid I could use. One for the "correct" 302 decal and one for your 347 decal.

Doug

davidathans

Just because this is a good thread to mention this...

if you are thinking about beefin up your CS's engine and are trying to decide what to do...

you'll want a 331 stroker (nearly same displacement as 2007 Shelby GT500) if you want a 7000rpm ++ revving motor (4.03"bore x 3.25" stroke)

or

you'll want a 347 stroker (4.03"bore x 3.4" stroke) for maximum torque. Im reving mine to 6500rpm (rpm of peak wheel horsepower from chassis dyno) on a streetable cam...i was told 347s shouldn't be revved much higher than where im at, especially if there isnt a girdle on the bottom end...if you figure a 25% drivetrain loss (because of the C4, 10" Torque Converter, driveshaft/yoke connection, and the 9" rear end with 17x9"chrome rims with 275/40R17 tires) i would be about 500 Engine Horsepower, carbureted, streetable...

A GT/CS is so much more fun to drive when its fast &
Nothing beats the sound of the rumbling cam and pulsing exhaust

joedls

My blown 347 is sitting in the engine compartment of my GT/CS. Haven't started it yet, but should soon.