• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gas cap refresh

dalorzo_f

Related to the current paint job and engine post.

The OEM cap has polished up really well. only issue is the black paint is a bit faded and worn. I'd like to reuse it as its original.

Has anyone attempted to repaint the black around the running horse and rest of the badge?

Tips and tricks?

csgt428

Iv'e repainted a couple. If needed, I removed the last of the paint first w zip-strip... then I'd get a tiny brush and apply the correct paint very carefully. I think the black is a semi gloss...... the trick is applying it evenly so as not to have a mottled look. It usually took several coats letting it dry between to get the right look. Alternatively I've used a good masking tape and trimmed with an exacto knife to protect the chrome. Then used a spray can ....The advantage here is a more even application of paint which looks better.

Just the way I've done it with varying degrees of sucess.

lnevill

Sharpie....

I've been able to do majic with a black fine tip sharpie....

The silver metalic sharpie can also cover some ugly bare "chrome".

Not concours of course, but great for a driver!

Lee

68 special

Hi All, Along the lines of freshening up my gas cap, does anyone sell the hinge piece? Mine broke at the last fill up. So, I would rather fix mine than buy a whole new cap.

Thanks Bret

Mosesatm

I have one.
PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Tape masked around the badge. Then painted a bit of grease on the chrome. Some etch then black semi gloss. Let dry a couple days then wipe off the grease.