Thread: Why Clone?
View Single Post
Old 04/04/2005, 12:41 AM   #2
1fb1gtcs
My Car Details

Re:Why Clone?

I think we all have some kind of fascination with certain cars and if it happens to be a rare and expensive model then does that mean those of us who can't afford a real one can't have a look-alike? I've never really had a problem with people cloning or customizing their car so I guess it just comes down to what you enjoy about cars. If you like fast cars then you'll make a fast car but if you like cruising classic cars then make a cruiser or any of the other categories you can fall into. I still have my '67 fastback that I've been turning into a bullitt copycat but hey when I was a kid (and probably even now still!) that was my favorite movie because of that car. But I can't afford a real S code 4 speed fastback in original green paint so does that mean I can't have or build something that looks similiar? So my 67 came along at a great price but was a six cyl. originally so I started making my car even though it is a year off of the movie car. Now I would tell anyone right from the start that it's not original and I'm not ashamed of what I'm doing to the car I just build what I like and can afford. When I found my gt/cs it was sunken up to the hubs in the mud (I still kick myself for not getting pictures then) and I thought it was a cool car but I didn't really like it all that much at first I was just a fastback person I guess! I learned a little about the car in a book I have called "Mustang 641/2-68" and towards the back it had a little two page sidebar on it and that's where the car started to grow on me. What was nice was it's a unique car as-is and doesn't really need changing. But what if I couldn't get one? I don't think I would make a clone because so far the prices are still pretty reasonable but I wouldn't scoff at anyone who builds there own if that's what they can afford and they don't try to pass it off as original. If I found a '68 charger that wasn't a factory r/t you can bet I'd be making the bad guy's car from bullitt and I'd probably even add the r/t badges but I know in a race or at a show I won't be fooling anyone! But I love to drive old cars and maybe if I had a "real" high end car I wouldn't drive them as much for fear of crashes or theft etc... so maybe I have different motives. One thing I can't understand is lamborghinis and ferraris' built onto volkswagen or fiero frames. Now those are exotic looking bodies no doubt, but what's the point when it doesn't scream down the highway? But if that look is all you want, I say go for it but tell the truth about it when it's selling time!
1fb1gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote