View Single Post
Old 01/16/2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Doug
My Car Details

Amy and Jbart - THANKS

I did in fact use them myself. I went with my son and took his 2007 Shelby GT. We left at 5:30 am from Valencia, Ca and arrived at Shelby headquarters at 9:45am. We wanted to arrive in sufficient time to take a tour that Shelby gives everyday at 10:30. The place was packed and everybody was going trough the gift shop like they were giving things away. Yes I bought something – a 1966 die cast model and T-shirt. The tour started at 10:30 and we went through the shop where the Cobra’s are built and – sweet-sweet and that’s all that needs to be said. We then went into the shop where they convert Mustang GT’S into Shelby’s – my son was trying to imagine he’s car being there 3 years ago. Please remember that Ford builds that Shelby 500 (not in Las Vegas) but at a Ford factory; this was pointed out many times. A special guest arrived and said high to the group – Yes it was Shelby himself. The crowd went wild and this left my son a little uneasy. He was there for the bash and to tape a commercial.

After the tour we went to the track and used your tickets – there were only about 4 older Mustangs and about 100 newer ones. The contrast of the two generations was amazing; the newer ones are more civilized and you can actually talk when they drove by. My son was on cloud 9 he could not believe that he actually has one on these cars. He was able to get a ride in a car that is closely matched to his – the only difference is that car has upgraded brakes. After his track time was over he was elated and wants to track his car – someday-someday.

The people were generally VERY open and friendly – I hate to say this but far nicer than many of the participants at SAAC. BTW I have been to many SAAC events and respect what they have done for the 1st generation Shelby’s but this group was far more open – especially to a young man.

We went back to the track and did the tour again on Saturday – tour was the same (no Shelby this time) and the track was again fantastic. We left the track and drove back to Valencia. The newer cars are so forgiving and fast.

In closing I drove my 68 today and felt real slow – but still love it and the 65-68 Mustangs the best.

However I am on the lookout for a 2006 Hertz, or 2007 Shelby GT – selling my Camary and going to drive that instead.

Below are some photos. Last photo is the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra - not even on the market yet. It will be at next BJ auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1670[1].jpg (106.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1690[1].jpg (42.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1701[1].jpg (49.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1720[1].jpg (81.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1657[1].jpg (94.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1730[1].jpg (80.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1733[1].jpg (50.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1731[1].jpg (72.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Doug; 01/16/2011 at 10:45 PM..

66 Shelby GT 350, 55 Chev Nomad my sons 07 Shelby GT#4208. SOLD Candy Apple Red 390GTAuto w/air - Now in Australia.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote