• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How to properly remove badly redone console pad re-finish

mnut

I bought a decent 68 automatic black console pad I'd like to restore. No rips or tears but in it's earlier life someone sprayed a black laquer or maybe rustoleum over the pad.It was originally black. The old redo dye is flaking and chipping off but not completely wanting to go away. My question is...what is the safest way to properly remove the old flaking finish of whatever it is without ruining the texture of the pad? Then, what is the best buzz can laquer black dye you've had luck with?
Since I'm on the 68 console pad subject...I contacted the company(can't remember it just now?) in CA I've heard people have used to reskin/restore console pads but the company says they can't replicate the stiching on the sides,just reskin the cover. Anyone ever use a company that does a real close resto on a 68 pad with proper seams?
thanks for the help!

Bob

franklinair

In the past, I have used paper towels wet with lacquer thinner (wearing rubber gloves!) and wiped the surfaces. Done carefully, without saturating the pad itself, I was able to remove old paint.

Neil

Mosesatm

In the past, I have used paper towels wet with lacquer thinner (wearing rubber gloves!) and wiped the surfaces. Done carefully, without saturating the pad itself, I was able to remove old paint.

Neil

Be sure to use rubber glove, like Neil said, not latex gloves. Latex absorbs lacquer thinner so the gloves get real BIG.

tomcwarren

There are some upholstery cleaners that have a mild abrasive in 'em to get stubborn dirt / stains out. Don't have a name to refer to - saw it on a Speed Channel show awhile back.

HTH,

Tom