View Single Post
Old 11/30/2007, 01:44 PM   #9
PNewitt

I just wanted to point out that without SAAC, and my contacts there, there would not have been the research and information on the Shelby Automotive part in the development of the GT/CS.

SAAC put me in touch with Fred Goodell in 1988, and it was from that interview that I was able to learn so much about how this project came together. The Green Hornet would just be an unknown modified Mustang today without Fred (and my subsequent articles--leading to it's value of $2M).

We'll see how this "TeamShelby" club works out. There was once a Dodge Shelby club, and that somehow dissappeared. I'm not so sure if an instant new club will reflect the care and passion that SAAC has always had, and I don't expect it to carry over regarding the vintage Shelbys and Cobras.

Somehow, the process of this new club and who gets what, was was lost in the big money shuffle. For some reason, it was never said by Carroll: "Leave SAAC alone, let them do the vintage (1962-1970) Shelbys, and we'll take it from 1971--on with "TeamShelby"". Obviously, the heritage of Shelby's roots is something that the next generation can't do much without it on their own. I can't get excited about a new club that hasn't built it's own foundation and knowledge base, but "demands it" through a legal process.

Casey made a very good point about corporate domination of grass roots efforts--only when they see dollar signs. It makes it seem like there is no credit for hard work, nor for the labor of love for what is meaningful in this hobby.

Thanks to "eagle-eyed" Rich for finding the threads discussing this whole mess. Not much more to say here, but to wait and see how this shakes out. I, just personally have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole thing, and I don't buy into the hype of this new wave of Shelby-ism coming out, in light of how they stepped on SAAC.

Just my opinion.

Paul N.