View Single Post
Old 07/23/2007, 07:19 PM   #11
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCSMustang View Post
Rich,

I'd say if the engine assemby date is 8LXX, you're in good shape. I believe you read it year, month, week or day, shift.

Scott
Hi Scott,
I assume you meant to say if it's 7LXX I'm in good shape right?

Well I checked it out tonight and sure enough it is 7L20?
I think the last code is a U. There is a chip right on that last letter of the code. (See attached picture)

From what I have read, that last character indicated who the worker was that assembled the engine. It was apparently used to know who assembled it if there were questions or problems later on.

So the 7L20U on mine indicates an engine assembly date of November 20, 1967. Which is a good thing for me since my Engine Tag also indicates an engine date of L20 (November 20th).

Add to that the fact my VIN is stamped on the engine I think I can safely assume the engine, at least the block in my car is original.
The fact that it sat around for 4 months is likely something we'll never know, could have been the strike factor. (Not sure of the months of the strike)

Now I'm perplexed about the intake manifold code (see new picture attached to the first post) but that's for another day I guess.

This was a learning experience, thanks for the help. Much like a treasure hunt but definitely with a good ending for me.
The Bob Mannel book had the information I needed just wasn't sure what it was that I needed, as always this site was a valuable resource.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00547.JPG (149.2 KB, 13 views)

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote