Thread: Timing
View Single Post
Old 07/15/2007, 07:12 PM   #8
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
As David states he runs fine on 91 octane. And his car is “way” high performance by the times he sets. Its all about setting your car up properly. I have a nearly 12 to one 428 and a 13 to one 289 that both run on today’s gas. There are a lot of wives tales out there on today’s gas. Today’s 91 or 92 octane reacts much the same as yesterdays 99 or Custom Supreme 101. It burns slowly enough without the use of lead to slow down its explosive ability and suppress pinging. Aluminum heads help also. A cam with a lot of overlap helps bleed off low RPM compression that assists in low speed pinging and starter cranking speed overload.

But for stock engines you should be able to run near stock specs with today’s gas. It reacts much in the same way. Lead additives are a bunch of BS unless you are pulling a trailer with a truck or running a boat with car engine with old iron seats. Most Sunday drivers will never put enough miles on their cars in 50 years to notice a difference of valve seat recession. And the miles are usually very easy. Don’t spend money on lead additives!

If you car runs better on Avgas or with a bunch of octane boosters you don’t have it tuned for today’s gas or you like to spend a lot of money. There was an interesting article a year or so ago in Hot Rod Magazine. They took a test mule 360 mopar motor that was worth about 400 HP and ran it on today’s 87, 92, and yesterdays 101 and some Avgas. They made pulls with all sorts of changes to timing and found that motor would run on all the gas and make power, but it did make the most power on the 101 and Avgas/race fuel. Proves that the old gas was much more explosive and produced many more “joules” of energy. Whew, sound like a professor now….. Not!!!!

I have run many a modified engine and many stock ones. I find that most motors like a bit more initial timing than stock specs. But again you have to keep the total in the 36 to 38 range. Arlie had a cool link on how a stock Ford distributor can shorten up the mechanical and let you run more initial. Every car will react differently. Fine tuning is the key. There is no need to run spend money on half an half today’s and high octane gas AVgas. You can tune it to run fine. My GT/CS, 428 Cobra Jet 1957 Wagon, and 13 to one 289 in a 67 Fastback run great on today’s 91 premium. Would they go faster on the old stuff if tuned? Absolutely!!!

By the way, a great article on the new “corn” fuel is in this months “Mustang and Fords”. You want to go fast??? This is the new stuff that burns even more powerful that gas!!! I am waiting for it to come to my local gas station!! Tune it to run on this stuff and YAAAAAAA BAAAABBBBEEEE!!!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote