View Single Post
Old 05/23/2006, 09:00 AM   #5
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Classic
Hi Casey,
Do you hear anything other than the one click sound of the solenoid when you turn and hold the key? Does it make a whining sound? Ford's are prone to bad connections, clean the wires and terminals. Don't forget a clean ground also, from block to battery and from starter to block [if painted over]. If the voltage drops to 10 volts but does not turn the motor I would assume the starter is the problem.
Good luck, Dave.
Yes, That is the odd part. The starter actually engages as if you might get the first one half turn over but then stops. Try again and the same thing. Try a couple of times and it begins to turn the engine over. It is not the usual low battery sound that eventually causes the solenoid to close or chatter.

I will go back and check all connections and wires just to be sure, but have done this before. (I did once have a problem where the wire to the starter got too close to a header pipe and burned through, but that was some time ago and I replaced all wires then). Other thoughts appreciated. Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote